Instant oatmeal

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Germaine_11.20, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hey for you Moms with young children I had an easy recipe for instant oatmeal. Now I lost it, but it is easy to figure out on your own with a little experimenting.
    For 1 cup of quick oats, take about 1/3 of it out of there and process it until it is fine. Mix it all back together and then you have instant oatmeal.
    I didn't add additional salt to the mix but some do. Also if you have dried apples, process them until they are small and then add them to the mix with some cinnamon. Apple and cinnamon instant oatmeal--cheap. I always added sugar later, but some add it to the mix.
    You can come up with all sorts of ideas. Brown sugar and cinnamon, raisin...
    I would keep it in a tightly closed container and then just pour some out in the bowl, add boiling water, stir and whaala! Breakfast. Big eaters can have more, little eaters less. No wasted, expensive packages!

2. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Bravo Rustywoman, my son [​IMG] instant oatmeal, but it's almost 4 dollars a box here for ten itty bitty packages. What a great idea.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    If I can dig up the actual recipe I will, but oh my... It is pretty easy and pretty much like I said. If you try it and like it let me know!

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    my hens and i are very fond of peaches and cream [​IMG]

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I have been doing this for years...
    I store mine in a Vaccum sealed container. Stores well this way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by