Instead of a saddle, has anyone tried to keep the back claw of their roo clipped?

ChickenMack

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
So, I have two Jersey Giant roos who are tearing up the backs of my hens. I know that saddles were designed for keeping the hens back feathers intact but I just don't want to mess with them seeing that I have thirty hens. Does anyone have an alternate solution? I was thinking about clipping that rear claw on the roo since that is the one that seems to cause the problem. Has anyone tried this?

If your roos are tearing your hens up that badly, I'd personally seperate the roos since you obviously have a good ratio. Have you watched to see how rough they are with your hens? Once a roo starts tearing into my hens, I usually start looking for a new home for him, even if it is freezer camp. If they want to stay crowing around here, they have to play nice.
wink.png

I agree,but,it's natural,unless the begin bleeding.
If your roos are tearing your hens up that badly, I'd personally seperate the roos since you obviously have a good ratio.  Have you watched to see how rough they are with your hens?  Once a roo starts tearing into my hens, I usually start looking for a new home for him, even if it is freezer camp.  If they want to stay crowing around here, they have to play nice.  ;)

Causing a hen to bleed or go bald are my definition of them not playing nice with them. Plus, I have never allowed a roo to get aggressive with me.
big_smile.png

My current roo is only alive because he is so gentle with his girls. He doesn't even hold on when he mates. I guess he prefers going rodeo style.
lau.gif

He is the perfect roo except for the fact that he crows at 3 am.
barnie.gif
I am hoping to breed him this spring though since he is such a rare breed (Augsburger). It is a joy to watch him when I let him out with the ladies on my days off. The ladies love him, even my senior hens.

Back
Top Bottom