Insulating a coop???

Really, it IS a matter of personal preference. You do not need to insulate for the winter months, the chickens already have perfect insulation of their own. The only insulation I can see any real benefit from, is roof insulation. It can help in the hot summer months by soaking up some of that sun generated roof heat.
Jack

...with that said, would you go with a metal or shingled roof?
As I live in WAY Upstate, NY we do metal roofing, one it's inexpensive, and two, the snow just slides right off. But keep in mind there are years we can get 9 FEET of snow over two to three days
hit.gif

We don't get allot of snow around here so what would be the pros and cons on metal vs shingle.
I'd think the metal may generate more heat, but also be hotter in the summer.
So do you want warm birds in the winter or hot birds in the summer, lol.
I know...I'm thinking to much.

I went with shingles. If I had to do it again, I would maybe have gone with a composite roofing I seen at Lowes. It's called Ondura. The shingles really soak up the sun in the summer. I think the Ondura would have been a bit cooler. I have a steel pole barn, and it gets hot in there in the summer. From what I have seen with that, I don't think I would go with a steel roof on my coop here, unless it was well shaded by some big trees.
Jack

Back
Top Bottom