Insulating a very hot coop

erkadoo

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Durant,OK
Hello everyone,
I have some questions regarding insulating. I have a 10X12 metal shed that we converted into a coop. We cut a window and installed an air conditioner however it’s 104 degrees out and it doesn’t help at all. I was going to buy 0.75 inch insulating board the “styrofoam with reflective stuff” however I’m unsure if they will eat at it. I’m wondering if I just do the ceiling and all but 4’ from the floor if it Would be sufficient . Do you think it will still cool enough? Thank you for your time, also they have a very large shaded run so they are not baking

What i did when my I turned my shed into a coop, is leave about 2-3 inches open at the top edges of the coop. That way the air can blow in through the top, giving them the ventilation that they need. If you have a air conditioner in that small of a coop I'm wondering how it doesn't cool it down!! hmmmmm...

Hope some of that helped!:thumbsup

upload_2018-7-16_22-42-15.jpeg

upload_2018-7-16_22-42-59.jpeg

upload_2018-7-16_22-43-48.jpeg

upload_2018-7-16_22-44-6.jpeg

I pondered this same thing. I also have converted a metal shed into a coop. Here in Texas, it's pretty darn hot! I went back and forth on what to do without building a whole new coop. I ended up with 4 fans on 24/7 and removing the entire front of the shed.
I swapped hardware cloth in place of a solid front.
It still gets up to about 97 mid day, however it's not past that 100 mark anymore.

Our coop a converted shed is insulated with foam sheets, dropped ceiling , walls and floors , it was 10 degrees cooler then the barn last week that only has insulated walls .... it really does help and they really will eat it... I’d do it all the way down then cover it with cheap paneling or particle board sheets..... good luck . We have no a/c or fans just cross breezes

That is a very nice coop birdgirl luckly it is wood and is better insulated than just metal. I will insulate it tomorrow and let y’all know how it works. I just hope they don’t think it tastes good

Yes we covered a window with it and they ate it a lot !! No blue eggs though We covered it with vapour barrier plastic , it’s really thick and they couldn’t peck through it.... but they tried

Back
Top Bottom