Insulating coop is it neccesary?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmtcmkb, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    We are currently in the process of constructing our first coop for our soon to arrive 5 chickens. We live in New England where temps can range from 30*- 80* in one day and our winter months we have frequent below zero temps. We are modeling our coop after the witchita cabin coop ( here on BYC) which has a raised coop- we have insulated the floor and used house wrap on the side walls-do you think we should insulate the roof? I know we need adequate ventilation so I dont want to close it up too tight. The coop is 4'x 5' and will have two large windows 18" x 24 approx, and 2 vent panels along the roof/ceiling line.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Ohio where the winters are moderately less severe than yours in New Hampshire, not usually temperature wise but in length. My 20 chickens were housed in an old kids playhouse made from 2x4's and OSB. I cut a door in the side which I presume had gaps. Their chicken door was a hole cut in the side and it had 1 maybe 20 inch window which was on the other side of the prevailing wind. I had to hook up a cattle trough heater in the water but the chickens were fine. Chickens are a LOT hardier than we humans give them credit for. So the short answer, at least in my opinion is no, you don't need insulation.

Good Luck,
    Shawn

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No, you don't NEED to insulate. If you were to choose just one area to insulate, it should be the ceiling, as any heat in your coop (sun coming in your windows or artificial heat for those who use a device of some kind) will go right out the ceiling (heat rises). I did insulate my coops, and have found benefits.
    In winter the insulation helps retain the heat that enters through the windows during the day (into the early evening). In summer I shade my windows, so the insulation helps retain the overnight cool into the early afternoon. So I am happy that I insulated. But a draft free coop without insulation is fine.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That's exactly what I thought, thank you! I know we have people right here in this neighborhood who have some chickens housed in what amounts to a wooden box, with no ventilation other than a window that I cant see them keeping open very much in winter, so I was sure it would be fine, just want to double check.

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    only place i have insulation is the floor of the nesting boxes..under the wood. Nesting box overhangs and if i am not able to get out to the coop that day I do not want the eggs to freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by