Insulating coop with hoop house/ greenhouse film?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jahphotogal, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    I was chatting with a local farmer yesterday - I have 5 chickens, she has a couple hundred - and I asked her what she does with her chickens in the winter. She puts them in a large hoop house, covered with a single layer of plastic film. she opens the sides during the day because it gets warm, and lowers them at night. I assume there's also plenty of ventilation, of course.

Has anyone tried this? Pros and cons? Tips to make it work? My coops already is hoop-shaped - about 5 feet high, 8x5 floor plan. It sure would be cheap and easy!

2. Adenium

Adenium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Connecticut
    I'm interested in this too - also in CT. We're building our run now as a hoop design.....but if I had my wish I'd use the hoop coop idea to have a second, cheaper coop. Not sure if the whole tarp/hay bale design is enough winter protection around here. If only I lived in the Carolinas or similar....

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Be careful using plastics on coops for insulation. Make sure there is lots of ventilation. You will get frost forming on combs if the moisture is trapped inside. Leave some space at the top of the coops for venting this moisture out. Even, esp. in cold climates you have to be esp. careful with this. Gloria Jean

4. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    Yes, I'm thinking I'll cut some cutouts in the top for venting - I don't think I'll have to worry too much about drafts if they're on the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by