Insulating coops

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pacey Hillson, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Pacey Hillson

Pacey Hillson Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    I live in Ontario and sometime the temperature can get down into the low -30's. I'm considering insulating the coop I'm building. I would insulate the walls and floor plus I would properly finish the walls so the chickens would have no way to eat the insulation. I wanted some other people's opinions? Will the coop being insulated make it more likely to get rodents and bug? Are there any pro's or con's of insulating a coop? For what it's worth rabbits, goats, a pig and other small poultry (like quail and pigeons) will live in the coop.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Because of the winter weather you get in Canada, I think it makes sense to insulate your coop. The one big thing to keep in mind is to allow for lots of ventilation so condensation doesn't build up in the warm coop.

You can check in with other Canadian members to see what they do. You can find them by using the Search box (upper left, under the logo).

It's nice to have you here!

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Insulation in your coop is a great idea but as NFC says ventilation is a must to let the condensation out. Hete are some articles on winter keeping that I'm sure you will find helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Winter+keeping+#

I'm not quite sure on keeping all those animals in one coop. Diseases being passed between the various species would be a concern for me. How big will your coop be?

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BackYard Chickens! [​IMG]

6. Pacey Hillson

Nov 20, 2016

The coop will be of large size.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may also like to post on "Canadians, check-in-here." thread and get their advice and suggestions. Just put that in the search box and the thread will come up. Welcome to BYC

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Pacey Hillson

Nov 20, 2016
    Thanks for the welcomes

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Pacey Hillson [​IMG]

You have already got some good advice on insulation for low temps and living in Aus, that is not something I am able to help with.

I just popped in to say Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by