1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insulating Metal Roof w/ Reflextix Foil/Bubble/Foil

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Superior Chicks, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Will this work as a barrier for condensation/frost? (On the ceiling.) Not to mention keeping the coop warmer. We have a metal roof.

We have good ventilation from roof vents, but I'm afraid with no insulation we will get condensation forming in our super cold climate. The coop is new and was delivered completely built, and has not been used yet. Peeps coming in May.

Please advise. I already purchased the insulation, but now I'm second quessing myself.[​IMG]

It is recommended by the manufacturer for "metal roofs" and "poultry houses".

Anybody?

Thanks.

Ma

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Yes will work very well.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sure. It's not as insulating as, like 1-2" rigid foamboard, but may well give you what you need to prevent condensation, and is certainly a lot cheaper [​IMG] And if you should decide to replace it with foamboard later on, it will be reusable for lots of other things -- bubblewrap is pretty useful stuff to have around IME [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

4. Superior Chicks

Thank you so much Pat, I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one.[​IMG]

Ma

5. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Lake Superior??? I believe I would be more worried about just staying alive, not condensation.....do the chickens live in the house with you in the winter?
    HappyHatch'en

6. Superior Chicks

[​IMG]

We are a darn hearty folk here, and so are our chickens![​IMG]

Ma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by