insulating my coop!!! Need help please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mandelaykay, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Ok I have a 4x4 coop with 3 1x1 external nest boxes. The coop ideally is portable but we want to insulate since we live in maine. We wanted to use styrofoam insulation on the inside but my husband does not want to cover it with more plywood since it will make the coop even heavier to move. I have silkies. Will that be a problem leaving it exposed and what are my alternatives? How did you insulate your coop?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Get a painter's canvas drop cloth. Put several good coats of paint on it. Instant wall board!

Don't forget you still need ventilation in the winter. A damp coop is worse than a cold coop!

Good luck.

4. WelshSpringChicken

WelshSpringChicken Out Of The Brooder

I'll be insulating my coop with some sort of material (undecided as of yet). From the outside will be panelling of some sort (palletboard?), then wire mesh (to stop any neighbouring rats), then the material insulation, then chipboard on the inside.

It will be like a warm version of Alcatraz - nothing in and nothing out [​IMG] Safe...

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I'll be insulating my coop with some sort of material (undecided as of yet). From the outside will be panelling of some sort (palletboard?), then wire mesh (to stop any neighbouring rats), then the material insulation, then chipboard on the inside.

Sounds perfect to me! Just as long as the little darlings can't get to the insulation material to eat it, all will be fine.​

6. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    Lowes sells this 'paneling' board stuff that is super thin and light. It is a bit more pricey than 1/4 ply but it is very light. I use it over the drywall in the garage, where the dog kennels are so they don't trash the walls.

I went with 1/4 OSB over my ply in the coop as it was 6.95 a sheet and the super-thin ply stuff was 14 bucks or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by