Insulating paint on outside AND inside?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chocobo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I am building a chicken tractor in the hot Texas weather and was concerned about my chickens.
    It was recommended to me to coat the outside of my tractor (essentially a raised 4x4 box with ventilation at the top) with roof coating such as Kool Seal to insulate it from the heat.
    What I am not sure on is if it would be beneficial to coat the INSIDE as well.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you can build it with insulation in the roof below the sheathing it would help. Then coat the outside.

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I live in a small portion of the Sonoran Desert that happens to be in San diego County. We get upwards to 110 degrees here. If you can put a double shade over top of the tractor that will help immensely. Like stretching shade cloth over some suports over the top of the tractor. On the inside styrofoam insulation works well if you can cover it with thin plywood or Masonite.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Elastomeric roof coating works very well and I would recommend it on the outside (I have it on my house), but I don't think that coating the inside will help much. I agree with kstaven, insulation in the roof is very helpful.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

A double shade that's extra large sounds like a good idea due to the heat, and having as much water as possible available

6. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    How effective is added insulation on the roof if there is open vent space all around between it and the walls?

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    FWIW, elastomeric roof coatings like Kool Seal don't really insulate as much as they reflect light back and limit heat from being absorbed into the roof (http://eetd.lbl.gov/coolroof/coating.htm). I'm not sure what your set-up is, but my coop is highly ventilated and I also used insulation (Reflectix from HD). I did some quick tests when I was installing the roof and I found that having insulation helped. What you want to do is limit the amount of sunlight hitting the coop and reflect back as much of the sun that is striking your coop as possible. We routinely get over 110 here and even though the sun strikes my coop directly for a few hours at this time of year, it still stays cooler than the air right outside the coop. Look at the pics on my byc page to see how I also used layering of shade-cloth to limit sun hitting the coop. Good luck!

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:Completely agree reflective heat barriers are the easy and effective way to go. With little effort and less than $20 your reflecting back up to 97% solar heating from your roof. And another reason I'm against windows, far too much solar heating when placed sunny side.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    When we had a coop on West Texas I used foil insulation on the inside of the roof. It really cut down on the radiant heat from the hot roof.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by