Insulating with fiber boards?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SophieLain127, Apr 7, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I live in ohio and it gets very cold and very hot. Example last week we were in the 70's today we have hit a high of 34. I was wondering if anyone had used that Fiber board (like the stuff they use on the outside of new build houses? Comes in a big board).

We have a large amount of new build homes and they are always throwing this stuff away and I was considering asking some of the builders if they would give me the scraps. It doesn't ad alot of R-value like for a house but I thought it would at least keep it alot warmer.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Man it will be perfect, especially when it is free [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and your chicken will pray for you when they stay worm and cozy next winter.

Omran

3. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks. I was also planning putting down rolled linoleum or vinyl flooring down and covering it with pine bedding. I hope I can get that as well as some of the wood from construction sites too. I don't have alot of money and I want to does this as cheaply as possible. [​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I agree with you 120% look at my page, my coop was 95% for free.
    they call me around here, the trash boy [​IMG] [​IMG]

Omran

5. SophieLain127

Apr 7, 2009
    That is an awesome coop. I live in the city and have to do it on a much smaller scale but I love the bucket idea for feed. I've also seen one made out of pvc piping. I was thinking about using that for my 4-6 hens...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by