Insulation, chicken door, and nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickenuser, May 3, 2007.

1. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Should I put insulation in our 8x8 coop to keep them warm in the winter? Or will a heat lamp be enough?
    For the chicken door to the pen outside, is it okay if it is elevated above the dirt outside? Or do I have to make a ramp or something for them to climb?
    Do the nesting boxes have to be 1x1? Because i am using an old bookshelf and it will be a 2.5'x10".
    Is this measurment a thing of preference or do they need a bigger height to fit? i have some Golden Cross Pullets. HOw many nesting boxes will I need for 18 hens?
    What should I put in the nesting boxes? I was thinking of pine shavings. Also for teh floor, would pine shavings work? And is it easy to clean up off the floor?

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    KK, I hope I can answer the questions for you. First of all, insulation depends on where you live. We live in Illinois so insulation was a must. Just depends on your winters. I think a ramp is necessary for them to enter the coop. Mine usually take a couple of steps out on the ramp and then fly to the ground. A good rule of thumb for the nesting boxes is 14"x14". That gives enough room for a standard breed to enter, lay and exit without breaking or getting the eggs dirty. I was told that you should have a nesting box for every 3-4 hens. I use pine shavings and straw/hay for my coop. I guess it all depends on your pullets or hens preferences. Clean up is clean up to me regardless of what I have in it. The shavings help control leaks a lot better, but hay or straw catch a lot of the traditional messes that chickens create. Good luck to you![​IMG]

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, I use regular size kitty litter boxes (with lids) for nesting. My OEGB's LOVE them-I think it makes them feel cozy.

4. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    kittty litter boxes? Thanks! I was wondering about using them - as I'm not too handy with woodworking.....

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Kitty boxes-PERFECT for us non-carpenters!

Seriously, my hens have several choices for boxes, but they fuss and argue over the kitty boxes-their favorite. They are also very easy to clean and disinfect.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    For nesting boxes I am using 2 three-shelf bookcases. My boxes would be 2"x10'? Do they like boxes elevated? I have heard either way. We live in Washington. It gets below freezing in the winter but up to 100 degrees in teh summer.
    Instead of a ramp could I use a block of wood in front of the chicken door?

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:What a great idea!! I am using an old bookshelf that my DH "remodeled" for nests but I love the idea of kitty litter boxes for my brooding hens.
    My DH turned a room in an old building into a coup for me. First he lined the walls in plastic and then put up 3/8 " plywood all around. He used insulation on the ceiling. Plus the light and the chicks are snug with lots of shavings on the floor. He also dragged in a large tree branch to give them something to play on and we sit and laugh at them playing all over it. At 3 1/2 weeks old they were ready to get out of their cramped quarters in the house as much as I was ready to get them out. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by