Insulation for Hampton Roads Virginia?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TKES04, May 11, 2011.

1. TKES04

TKES04 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I am building a coop for seven of my fine feathered friends and had not considered using any insulation for the coop. The annual Maximum Avg. Temperature 69.0 °F and Annual Minimum Avg. Temperature 47.0 °F with an average of 5 snow days per years. So is it really necessary?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not at all necessary in your climate. Can I move in?

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW ! (I used to live in Virginia Beach!) We had RIR's, no insulation. Our chicken run was a 3-sided 8' x 16' run, with welded wire on the open side. My hen used an old basket/coffee table for nesting.

4. TKES04

May 9, 2011
    I'm in Isle of Wight with a creek in the back, only critters I've seen has been deer, eagles, black snakes, and squirrels.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I used to live in Virginia Beach too. [​IMG]
    I miss it!!!! Well it has changed so much...I mean that I miss it the way it was 30 years ago.

I would say that insulation is always nice, but that you can get away without it. I wish my metal shed was insulated (my coop). On those cold rare days it would be great.

None of my coops have insulation. I do run a 100 watt bulb for them when it goes below freezing.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I used to live in Va Beach, then moved to Norfolk. I used to hunt/fish in Isle of Wight county and fish at Back Bay many years ago. I didnt have chickens back then, but I remember a few brutally cold winters especially with the cold north/northwest winds blowing...not to mention a few wicked northeasters. Ugh.
    ETA: Norfolk=Nawfawk.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  7. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    I don't know, I've seen some post concerns/complaints about the condensation/moisture & they've found insulating (the roof mostly) has helped a lot in that regard. I live here too & i know we get lots of condensation for a good portion of early spring / fall that I would probably want to insulate just to remove that issue.

8. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I live in Maine. I have a good sized coop. I do not have it insulated nor do I heat it. I have considered insulating many times but my flock have always thrived despite very frigid temps in the winter.

Just recently I met a man who has been raising chickens for over 60 years. He has over 400 birds and they are all kept in cages. There is no protection against the winter temps or wind of Maine and yet his birds are the most beautiful I have EVER seen!! I am consistantly amazed at how remarkable chickens are.

So if you want to/can afford to insulate that is your choice to make but it is not nessesary. [​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Im in central va, our coop is not insulated. In fact, when the birds are inside its noticably warmer. Sometimes when I'm doing chores in winter I'll pop in there to warm up [​IMG]

10. TKES04

May 9, 2011
    Thanks for the comments I feel better about my coop after I was looking at some of the super nice ones others have built.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by