1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Insulation in coops??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dalannex, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dalannex

dalannex New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Stockholm, SD
    I was wondering if anyone insulates their coops? I live in SD so it does get very cold duing the winter months. I just don't know how much cold chickens and or ducks can tolerate. I do have electricity to it, so I can have heat lamps during winter.

Any advice would be awesome. THANKS!!

2. norwich

norwich Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    We live in upstate New York where it get very cold and snowy. Our coop is insulated and I sleep better on those cold, blustery nights because of it. No frostbite on our roosters either! In below freezing weather, I plug in the heater too.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm thinking of putting in insulation and then perhaps a window AC unit. [​IMG]

4. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    We are in Utah and have cold winters (maybe not quite as cold as SD though [​IMG]). We did not insulate and had eggs all winter.

5. dalannex

dalannex New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Stockholm, SD
    I worry about the wind, it gets NASTY!! Also, eggs tend to freeze fast up here, if they are exposed at all. I don't know about the AC unit, but I would put a fan in there.

Thanks everyone.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I would say go ahead and insulate...it definitely won't hurt the chickens any and may bump their comfort level up several clicks.

The insulation should help the wind issue. I would definitely seal areas that cause drafts where the roosts are and also along the floor. Just don't seal it completely so that there is no air exchange at all or moisture build-up could be a problem which could promote frostbite.

Best wishes,
    Ed

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Insulation is always a plus, never a minus (assuming you do it right).

You can get by in fairly cold situations without insulation, particularly for cold-hardy breeds, but it is comfier and easy to keep good air quality if you do have insulation. And if you decide to run a heatlamp, having insulation will reduce your electric bills [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by