Insulation in large coop?_ Illinois

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Bird House, Dec 12, 2012.

1. The Bird House

The Bird House Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I'm building a larger coop 5.5' x 8' in northern Illinois and am wondering if I'll need to insulate it. I've looked through some of the larger coop photos on this site and it seems like many of them are. We are allowed 4 hens, which we'll get this spring.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Tom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Insulation isn't really necessary, since it has to be well ventilated.
    Chickens can handle cold much better than people

3. The Bird House

Great - Thanks for the feedback! That's what I thought when started to build it (needing good ventilation), but then saw others with insulation.

Tom

4. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    WOW, Tom your coop is what I has hoped mine would turn out to be!!!! Just beautiful!
    I'm all inspired to get back at it and finish it up now.
    [​IMG]

5. The Bird House

Thank you Canessisters,

I've gotten a bit further than the pictures below. The nesting box is mostly trimmed out now and then a few more trim pieces before I can side it. Looking forward to moving to the inside in a week or two.

I went this rout since we live in the historic part of town and wanted the coop to look like it's been there for many years. I'm having a lot of fun with it and always look forward to the times I can spend working on it. Many of the elements art architectural pieces I've collected over the years - just waiting for a new "home".

Good luck with your coop as well - it looks like it's coming along very well! I wish I had your space to work with ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Very nice coop!

This past week temperature at night has been in the single digits, teens to low 20s during the day. I have no coop insulation and no heat. Coop is draft free and I have left the windows open (tops are tilted in about 4").

BOs are happy, eating, laying and no frostbite problems.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. The Bird House

Good to know! I've been a bit concerned about the cold temps here in IL during the winter months. I have a lot to learn yet. ;)

Your coop looks great!!

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Canada no heat, no light no insulation, with poop board less than 3 inches from roost to catch eggs, feed laying pellet & extra corn, 6 adult Golden Comet Hens going on 4 years old, 3 eggs a day.The colder it gets the more they bunch together! It was -14 Celsius they were not all even on the same roost.

No PROBLEMS

[​IMG]

9. bunsbabies

bunsbabies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    Wow, it's beautiful! Love the detail and color! Great job, I'm sure you have some very happy chickens! ;)

10. bunsbabies

bunsbabies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    They are all so nice. Still new on this site, haha! But loving it!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by