Insulation in the coop???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JazzysChicks, Feb 1, 2015.

1. JazzysChicks

JazzysChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2015
    Central Kansas
    Do we need to insulate our chicken coop??? We live in Central Kansas where it's windy almost all the time; the summers are scorching hot (up to 110+ heat index) and the winters are cold (down to -30 roughly).

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    You should research coop desighn and concentrate on proper ventilation rather than trying to retain heat via insulation. In my opinion, insulation will not help temps below zero or above 100.

1 person likes this.
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    As the other poster said...worry more about adequate ventilation.....
    For the coop itself, work to ensure there are no drafts in the coop that would cause airflow over the chickens when they are in the coop. I just got done building a coop out of pallets and took OSB board and painted it and screwed it into the walls from the inside, and then siliconed it up so that there are no drafts coming thru the middle of the coop. I have open ventilation all the way around at the top and on the sides.
    I will post a pic when I can. Ventilation is your friend...drafts are not.
    Add a couple of windows that you can open up during the day in summer so that you are getting flow thru the middle of the coop as well. That will help in the hottest months.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Here is a pic or 2 of my ventilation areas....they are all naturally made in the building process...I didn't cut these out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You may be able to see my interior walls a but in this photo along with ventilation...nesting boxes...and roosts.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by