Insulation Question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mr chicken dude, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Alright,I am at the point in building my coop where its insulation time but I have some Styrofoam insulation about 4" thick and want to Insulate the Coop with it. I am just wondering if I can use this I am worried about the chickens pecking at it and getting little white things everywhere and they might be able to choke..I think..And pecking the Styrofoam to where there's less Insulation..
    And if I so is there anything I can put on the interior so they wouldn't be able to peck at it...

Thanks,Collin

2. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    Can you line the styrofoam with a thin sheet of wood or tin or something so the birds can't peck at it?

3. Mr chicken dude

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Quote:I thought about plywood but it is kinda low on supply..And I don't know what else I could be able to use...Maybe the stuff you would put down on a roof before putting Shingles down??????

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  4. Briyon

Briyon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Richmond, VT
    I used both styrofoam insulation and fiberglass insulation in my coop. I cover the entire inside of the coop with 1/4" Luan plywood. It is pretty cheap and did the trick.

Brian

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
  6. Mr chicken dude

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Just so we all know I/we are trying to build this coop on the cheap and really didn't want to use plywood or any other wood to put on the walls as they are both low on supply..

I am just wondering if there is anything I can put on the walls so the chickens aren't pekin at it...

7. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    ..Maybe the stuff you would put down on a roof before putting Shingles down??????

OSB is what I think you are talking about. That would be fine if you can get some. I know that around here it is 5 or 7 bucks 4 x 8 sheet.

It is similar to plywood.

1/4 luan or paneling. If you are going to go cheap see if any of the local building supply has some damages sheets. Sometimes the forklifts do a little damage. You might be able be able to get a deal.​

8. Mr chicken dude

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Quote:OSB is what I think you are talking about. That would be fine if you can get some. I know that around here it is 5 or 7 bucks 4 x 8 sheet.

1/4 luan or paneling. If you are going to go cheap see if any of the local building supply has some damages sheets. Sometimes the forklifts do a little damage. You might be able be able to get a deal.

No....Its more of a paper stuff..Its black....I think tar paper comes to mind but I'm not sure..Is someone able to correct me on this...

9. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Quote:OSB is what I think you are talking about. That would be fine if you can get some. I know that around here it is 5 or 7 bucks 4 x 8 sheet.

1/4 luan or paneling. If you are going to go cheap see if any of the local building supply has some damages sheets. Sometimes the forklifts do a little damage. You might be able be able to get a deal.

No....Its more of a paper stuff..Its black....I think tar paper comes to mind but I'm not sure..Is someone able to correct me on this...

[​IMG] (sorry).

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Just use anything they can't peck through; and you only really need to put it on the parts they can REACH. You should be able to find someone throwing out old/used/scrap plywood or old rec room panelling or really anything they can't peck through. Roof tarpaper and heavyweight plastic sheeting *can* be pecked through, unfortunately, although whether yours will think of it right away or not for a while is anyone's guess.

At the very least, if this is a walk-in height coop, you could insulate the parts they *can't* reach (including the ceiling); staple plastic or something like that over the styrofoam to hold it in place between the studs and to prevent it from shedding little round white thingies as it gets bumped and jostled and starts to disintegrate. SOME insulation is still better than none. Although you can certainly get away with none if you have to.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by