1. melissaanne

melissaanne New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    hello out there [​IMG] does anyone know if i need to add insulation to my henhouse? i live in new jersey. it gets pretty cold during the winter. We have left some ventillation areas and are wondering if insulating is necassary OR a waste of time? none of the coops ive seen for sale are insulated and I have read quite abit on the subject of building a coop but cannot find a definitive answer. if you live where it gets cold and have chickens: Tell me is your coop insulated? Are you chickens happy, laying plenty of eggs and living through the winter? thanks for any and all responses:))))

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh come on, it does not get COLD cold in NJ [​IMG] (I grew up in Philly and lived in South River NJ for a while)

You sure don't NEED to insulate; however, that said, you may WISH to insulate. As long as the carpentry is tight (to prevent mice), it can't hurt and depending on your situation can do some signficant good. It is mainly helpful if either a) you are going to be electrically heating your coop at some point, which you are unlikely to *need* to in NJ but everybody "does their own thing"; or b) the coop is designed such that it will carry reasonable amounts of daytime warmth into the evening if insulated (e.g. if coop is large, coop is dirt- or slab-floored, or coop has other features that provide thermal ballast)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by