1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. slphillippe

slphillippe New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm just starting up and have an old chicken coop from previous owners - made of metal w/ no insulation. They didn't keep any over the winter. What type of insulation is safest for the chickens - won't they peck thru to the pink fiberglass stuff? Help... I want them to be safe and warm.

2. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    In my research, I have read that chickens do well without insulation depending on coop design.
    Birds take shelter in trees or under bramble in the wild and have very few protections from weather.
    Choosing chickens for their hardiness, such as very cold hardy, can help improve your success in cold winter weather.
    Metal is a good conductor for temperature so I would assume that it may help keep the air within the coop colder than their wood clapboard counter parts so I understand your concern.

How large is the coop? Do you have dimensions?
    Do you have wood studs or all metal construction?
    What material is the floor made of? How is the floor constructed?
    What state or part of the country do you live in?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. slphillippe

slphillippe New Egg

Sep 24, 2011
    The coop is 6x5 feet and 5-6 ft tall. It has wood studs, dirt floor and that old wrinkled metal on the roof and walls. I live in Northern OK where we had that wonderful ice storm winter before last. We usually have one of those per winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by