Insurance and Car Accidents

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 26, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    How many of you decided to take the insurance money and spend on necessities rather getting your car fixed?

Hubby got into an accident (not his fault) and their insurance gave us the check valued more than the blue book price on his 95 Jeep! Undecided what to do with the cash but we would like to pay off the van and get his college tution in order rather than waiting for the response from Pell Grant. As for his Jeep, runs great but with a damaged running boards and rearwheel panel and crimped door and flat tire, he might take it and scrap it for parts.

I think I heard that more and more people are driving around with dings and bents bodies on their cars in town here.........

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Had my car fixed up and bumper repained when some idiot dented my rear quarter pannel when parking their car in a parking lot! Did they NOT notice the fact they just ran into a bright red two door coop on the way in to the spot? Not like the car was covered in dirt and matching the pavement! No idea how fast they had to be moving to leave a foot ball sized dent. If I find those suckers one day, they are getting a beat down for touching my metal bodied clear coated baby. However, up here with our insurance, they don't write us a check. They just pay the bill the auto repair place sends to them.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

What insurance company do you have !!!

When our jeep was smashed by the tree falling, they hardly paid us enough to buy another car - yet alone replace the jeep.

You might want to keep in mind that you might get cancelled soon. I've heard of that happening to a few of our friends.

But like you suggested, use the money to make sure you have at least one good running car.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:My insurance is American Family but the lady that hit hubby was a family owned called Mercury Insurance. We thought that insurance was bogus but sure enough, our insurance agent called them and they were legit.

Their insurance told hubby that the blue book price was around that much for one Jeep in fair condition and to get it back where it was, it would cost so much for the parts since they dont carry them or have it shipped to our body shop....they did the estimates, not us.

I hope we dont get cancelled.....the lady that had the insurance got mad at hubby for calling the insurance company and he told her that he is required to do so to fix the bang on it. She hung up on him LOL! She told him previously that he does not need to call her insurance because it will raise her rates up more and rather do it between the two of them. Hubby thought better of it and decided to call our insurance agent anyway. Good thing they did LOL!

We have two vehicles here and with the gas prices, insurance and hubby's place of work is only two miles (he walks or bikes or borrow my van), he hardly used his Jeep this year. Figured it would be best to whittle down to one car and hope for the best.

Why did your friends insurance get cancelled? State Farm is bad about that since hubby had that insurance one time and one speeding ticket, they dropped him and it was the ONLY speeding ticket he had in his life time!

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Why did your friends insurance get cancelled? State Farm is bad about that since hubby had that insurance one time and one speeding ticket, they dropped him and it was the ONLY speeding ticket he had in his life time!

My mom was rear ended a few days ago. She stopped at a red light and the guy behind her wasn't paying attention and didn't even tap his breaks at all. He actually bent the frame on her explorer. (He was driving really fast!)

He had either State Farm or Farm Beurau (probably didn't spell that right.) He didn't even call his insurance to report it, and mom had spent the day in the hospital! He didn't even come up to her and check on her. When she called them they had no idea what they were doing and transferred her all over the place to people who had no idea what to do about it. They also hung up on her once! They are a very bad company it seems.​

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:My mom was rear ended a few days ago. She stopped at a red light and the guy behind her wasn't paying attention and didn't even tap his breaks at all. He actually bent the frame on her explorer. (He was driving really fast!)

He had either State Farm or Farm Beurau (probably didn't spell that right.) He didn't even call his insurance to report it, and mom had spent the day in the hospital! He didn't even come up to her and check on her. When she called them they had no idea what they were doing and transferred her all over the place to people who had no idea what to do about it. They also hung up on her once! They are a very bad company it seems.

I hope they get this resolved! No wonder some of us are paying the high price on car insurance nowadays!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh yeah, I got $2000 to fix a danged fender once and the roll of cut tape was only $2.99!!!!!

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I gotta jump in quick to defend State Farm. [​IMG] That is who we use. About 2 yrs ago I was not paying attention (yes, this was 100% MY fault) and rear ended a lady. I had a Kia Sedona at the time. It did over $5,000 damage to it.....I paid my $500 deductible, it was fixed as good as new, and they didn't even raise our premiums. [​IMG] I kinda like them right about now. [​IMG]

as for the insurance money, if you don't HAVE to use it for the vehicle, I say do what you need to do with it. [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Talk about frugal....yep, see that alot on cars brakes in this town too!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:You're lucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by