Insurance company cancelling us!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Sweet Violet, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    We were just notified by email that Foremost Insurance is cancelling us unless we get rid of the chickens and the chickens coop. (The coop is brand new and professionally made too!)
    I'm just furious! By city code I'm allowed 2 chickens but no roosters.
    Naomi

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Some insurances do not cover 'farm' animals. I ran into it when we got horses. Had to get a different home owners' policy.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Sorry to hear. What reason do they give? If it is misinformation on their part, perhaps you could challenge it with education? Worth a shot anyhow. I also wonder how the heck they would even know you have two chickens!

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Do you think it is because of the samonella stuff in the news or has it always been in the policy? Just wondering [​IMG]

5. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    Oh No!! How did they even know? Did you try to add the coop as part of the policy? I have Foremost Insurance for homeowners. Come to think of it - I got something with my last renewal policy regarding small hobby farms. I'm gonna pull it out and look at it soon as I get a chance tonight.

6. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    Thanks for caring everyone! It says "based on inspection" we had no idea anyone was coming over to inspect anything. We had a brand new wooden fence put up in March too.
    I'm calling around right now to find another company.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If there is a veteran in the family, I would suggest USAA. They insure us even knowing that we have a barn with 5 horses in it. The only question they asked was if we were going to board someone else's horses or if we were going to do some kind of training (lessons etc.) Explained to them that, nope all five are mine and I don't do lessons. They were more than happy with that.

8. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    OH! USAA has been great!

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We agree,. USAA has been good to us!

10. khoranoff

khoranoff New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Vista
    sorry to hear about your problem. I am in Vista as well and have a few more than my allotted 2 birds. However my neighbors seem to be cool with it. If you need somewhere to hide your girls out while you get re-inspected let me know, I would be happy to help. As for the coop put some shovels in it and call it a shed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by