Intact female boxer going crazy hormonal?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by allanimals21, Nov 24, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Ok my boxer is 3 years old. She went through a false pregnancy earlier this year. Now these last few days since shes been back in the house with us she is taking all of her stuffed toys and nesting with them. She will take them in her mouth and walk around the apartment here whining. Whats her deal? Its kind of cute but kind of annoying. She apparently took her food bowl full of food over to her "puppies" in the process leaving a trail through the living room. Any ideas here? She will be getting fixed in the next few weeks. We decided not to breed her.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    getting her fixed will probably "fix" the problem.

3. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    If you think it's stressful for you, imagine what she is going through. She is convinced she has a litter of pups and being frustrated with her will only stress her out further. She's just trying to do her best by the puppies she thinks she has. A trail of dog food isn't really a big deal, just try to be more understanding. It won't happen once she's spayed.

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    LOL It is cute.
    But even a spayed female will sometimes do this. No guarantee it will stop.

5. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:I'm not frusterated with her. I try and do what I think she wants. its just kind of funny. I've never had a dog do this before. Its drving my DF nuts. He cant stand her whining all the time. lol

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Most likely it is hormonal and an extended false pregnancy; however, intact non-bred females are at increased risk for pyometra. If she develops a discharge from her vagina, get her to the vet's immediately. This happened with a golden retriever of ours. She made a nest and went into false labor before I noted the discharge. We were lucky in that the vet spayed her, put her on antibiotics, and she survived. As a side note, our present golden is in heat and is driving us nuts. She wants some lovin' big time. I have finally convinced my wife that we do not want to breed her (I think.) She will be spayed shortly after Christmas. Keep an eye on her and good luck!

7. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:Yea I'm on constant watch for discharge. I worked at a vet clinic before. I remember a very very nasty case of pyo. Not cool

8. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Im in agreement with Sourland. Its a false pregnancy and she is substituting the toys for her "puppies". Once you get her spayed, this behavior should stop. Good luck.

Rammy

9. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    absolutly agree with the others, false pregnancy...and unforutnatly sounds like shes prone to it...

10. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    We have a female dog that has false pregnancies every heat if she is not bred. After talking to our vet about it he told us that every female dog has some degree of false pregnancy after each heat, but the extent to which it develops varies. Our female is pretty extreme, she nests, she paces, she whines and she produces milk. She is highly stressed if she can't get into our bedroom where she thinks her nest should be. She adopts the cat as her puppy and the cat will nurse from her. She is stressed if we try to keep the cat away from her, but the nursing encourages more milk production. She had a litter in September (in our bedroom) and was a great mom. Most of the pups left last week, we have two going this weekend and the one that we are keeping, and she still tends to them constantly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by