Intact Potbelly Pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CLB Farm, Jan 31, 2017.

1. CLB Farm

CLB Farm New Egg

Aug 28, 2016
    I have a castrated male potbelly pig. I recently got another male, but he is still intact. Would you suggest getting him castrated also? My other male isn't aggressive at all. He's only about 6 months & my potbelly that's intact is about 2 months. Would it make a difference?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Unless you need him for breeding, an intact male potbelly pig is a bad idea.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've known some really nice intact breeding boars, but they were constantly interacted with. I have met only a handful of intact potbellies and they were rather docile as well. That said, being an intact anything comes with some potential behavior issues and it can be more difficult to castrate a pig the older they get. He may be fine but he may not and you just need to factor that into your decision.

If you are not planning to breed him, I would probably just go ahead and castrate him. That way if you ever decide to get a female in the future you won't need to worry. Otherwise, I recommend chatting with some local breeders and see what their recommendations are.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think any male mammal that's not going to be used for breeding stock should be castrated. Who needs to deal with all that testosterone [​IMG]

But yes, I don't see why you would not castrate him. sounds like he's a pet, and intact males don't make great pets.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. Boars of any size can be difficult/ dangerous. Get him castrated! Mary

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It isn't so much he can become dangerous or aggressive although that can happen. I have had boars, big ones too, that were gentle and easy to handle. Intact male pigs can develop some habits that make them unattractive as pets. They have sexual urges and you may not like the ways they find to relieve them.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Well stated. That sexual urge is...well...irresistible to the animal at times.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So true! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by