Intalled a "Coop Cam" tonight. Now I can watch the girls from my phone or computer!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmywalt, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Songster

Mar 24, 2013
    Today I installed "Coop Cam" (as I call it). I can watch the inside of the coop (and egg boxes) from my phone or computer anywhere in the world! :) Geeky, Uh? [​IMG]

Here is one of the hens in the egg box this evening, and a few minutes later a brown egg left as a gift. (The white ones are fake and teach the hens where to lay their eggs).

The cam is a D-link DCS-932L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lilchickenz

lilchickenz In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    That's awesome

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I love my coop cam too. I've had it for several years and couldn't live without it. Originally got it when my chicken protector dog was a pup and would go in to steal eggs. Caught her red handed thanks to my camera. I especially love it in the early mornings before I let them out, watching how they interact with each other, and hearing their chit-chat all from the comfort of my house. Especially helpful with my broody and her chicks, snake or other critter watch, etc.

4. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks In the Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    That's interesting. I just looked at a few on Ebay. How does the signal get on the internet? You have to have a computer on close by with WIFI or something?

5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    My camera is a wireless that signals into a small monitor inside my home. It also has sound and infrared so you can see at night. If you get a wireless make sure your coop is kind of close to your house, other wise get a wired camera using coax cable that would hook directly to your tv. My coop is about 80 feet from my house so I bought a wireless camera that signals 300 feet line of sight. I don't use any wi-fi computer monitoring so can't help there. I'm sure there's a wealth of information on that subject here or nanny cam forums.

6. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks In the Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    I understand getting a signal into your house. Jimmy said he can view it on his phone or computer from any where. How that is done is the part I don't understand.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I could never have something like that, I'd never get anything done [​IMG]

8. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Songster

Mar 24, 2013
    I use www.mydlink.com. My wireless camera sends a signal back to the ROUTER inside my house (no computer needed other than for setting it up). The signal goes to the router and then to the internet that I can watch from any computer/cellphone within the world.

We were out of the country for the last few days and I watched the coop on my phone (via a free app) and also my laptop.

This is PRICELESS.

The camera is a DCS-932L. Actually I have two of them in the coop. One pointing at the egg boxes and the other at the perch they sleep on at night.

9. cphinney

cphinney In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Nestflix?

10. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    :yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by