Integrading new goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luvchicks8, Nov 10, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well I got a new goose today she is a Tlouse named Bonie who is extreamly friendly I walk up and can pick her up no hissing,running nothing. Anyway I got her because I had 2 males and only one female. Do geese do better than chickens with "new friends"?

2. Hillbilly_Curt

Hillbilly_Curt Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    I haven't had any bad scenario's. The new ones are forced to keep their distance, but they aren't canniballistic.
    I introduced 2 African's to my flock this summer and they just stayed a reasonable distance from the rest of them for a few months. Now they have been accepted and all is well.

3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Bonnie shouldn't have any problem being accepted in time. When I brought in a second female with my pet goose/gander pair, they tolerated her quite well. Mainly because she was pushy and decided Petey the gander was HER husband. He could not get away from her. He gave her pokes and nips with his bill, the way an adult will "discipline" a gosling, and wasn't keen on sharing the food with her, so I had to feed her separately for a month or so.

I'd put Bonnie with the other geese and stay and watch her just in case. Ganders will fight each other during the spring, but I've not heard of ganders beating up geese, or geese beating each other up.

The worst I imagine is they won't let her near the food for a while, and she might get nipped because of her low status. Eventually they'll never know she wasn't there [​IMG]

4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I introduced a new Embden gander too my gander to my flock recently. I had a female Embden and two questionable sex Chinese. He just marched on in and they took to him like, well, a duck to water. No fighting or fuss.

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    My experience has been much the same as everyone else's. Geese are usually pretty easy going about new additions. I don't do anything special, just go right ahead and release the new bird into the general population and let nature take its course. I have never had new geese exiled to the outer edges for months, though. The longest I've seen is a couple of weeks, the shortest has been just a couple of hours. Usually there's a lot of honking right at first, maybe some hissing and usually if it's a new gander there is a bit of a gander scuffle and then that's that.

6. Hillbilly_Curt

Hillbilly_Curt Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    I have one cranky Embden lol. That and my Africans are way more docile so they ended up at the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by