integrate coop chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Nov 19, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    i just realized something. with a ship of 25 day olds coming on Dec2 and some chicks that will be 14 weeks or so when the day olds grow into 7 weeks and go in the coop. So basically 2 14 weeks vs 23 or so (have to foster a few chicks to friends) 7 weeks. how will this turn out [​IMG] ? if bad, how can i fix it
    thanks so much dont want any chicken fights

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Are you asking if they'll get along? You could try mixing them sooner rather than later. Mine didn't start pecking order behaviors until about 8wks old. If you get them together before this, I'm guessing there will be very little squabbling. The big girls will be higher in the pecking order but that's about it. As long as you don't allow them to establish a flock mentality before introducing them you should be fine.

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    OK. I'll mix them [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No. Don't mix them. It will result in a disaster. Trust me. I tried it a year ago with chicks six weeks apart in age.

I tried introducing one older chick at a time to one-week olds. All the older chicks but one, thought it great sport to chase the babies around the brooder, corner them, and peck the snot out of them. The babies were terrified and spent all their time cowering in the corner with their tiny head mashed against the wall out of self preservation.

Seven-week old chicks are simply too huge and too old already to be put with day olds.

Wait until the new chicks are at least six weeks old before merging them with the two-month olds. Unless you want a bloodbath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by