Integrated 2 Flocks Sucessfully!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by felidaet, Jul 24, 2010.

1. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I decided is was time to integrate my two flocks last night. The 1st flock consists of 15 hens that are just over a year old. The 2nd flock consists of 20 pullets and 3 roosters that are approx 14 - 16 weeks in age. (I will be getting rid of 2 or maybe even all 3 roosters in another week or two). When the second flock was about 6 weeks old I divided the run in half with poultry wire. The new flock was placed in their own coop and given 1/2 of the run. The older flock kept their existing coop and the other 1/2 of the run. The two flocks have been seeing each other day after day. They were only separated by the poultry wire.

Yesterday afternoon I removed the poultry wire separating the two flocks. The older birds were very happy to have access to the entire run again. Most of the younger birds went into their coop. The few brave ones went over to the side where the older birds were. There was very little pecking between the older and younger flock. They did great integrating! Today I check on them frequently (I work at home on Fridays). I did not see any problems. The younger ones are starting to get braver. All of the birds are still sleeping in their "own" coops. I suspect it will be a few days before one of the tries to move into the other coop. I am convinced that the two flocks seeing each other all of them time caused the integration to go smooth. I will recommend this technique to anyone with flocks to integrate.

Side note - One of the roosters, a RIR, is trying to do his duty (if you know what I mean...) with the pullets but they are not receptive to him yet. I keep watching to see when he is going to discover that the 1 year old hens will likely be more receptive to his actions. He is bigger than the hens. Nothing so far.

2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] yay!! what a great feeling! so happy for you.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] yay! thats awesome! [​IMG] congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Great planning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by