Integrated 20 Teens with 24 Adults...Murder & Mayhem? DONE! PICS added

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Aug 6, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it really isn't going as badly as I thought it would. The teens range from about 15 weeks to 11 weeks, with one 19 week old EE pullet thrown in for good measure. Dutch, Hawekeye's son is strutting like he owns them all. He's already backed down several of the Big Evil Women, except Sunny, my Buff Orp, who has been broody twice and is channeling that Broody Sunny. Oh, yeah, I could always hear her in my mind as she beat up on the other innocent hens, "Watch Out! I'm bad and I'm broody!" She wailed on Dutch like that today when he dared to look her in the face. Anyway, it's actually going pretty well. I'm amazed. The two groups have had adjoining coops and pens for a very long time now, so it's not like they're total strangers. But, the day ain't over yet. Pray for me! :|

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG] Good luck!!

4. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I'm in the same boat Speckled,,3 EE's 6 weeks,,trying to get along with 8 10 week olds!!! Its Fight City Around here, screaming, pecking, feather pulling mess!!! I'll pray for you,,,Sincerely Tina [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe the moon is in the right phase for combining groups. I combined some a couple of days ago and it went much better than last time.

6. speckledhen

I just checked on them and all is well. Even little Shadow, my only bantam, seems to be doing fine. It's like no one notices a tiny chick-sized bird, LOL.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Me too, I moved my young lavender bantams in with my older ones, and it went so easily. I did add them in a crate for an hour or so, then let them loose.

8. speckledhen

Well, guess I did it at the right time! SO glad that's done. The main three nestboxes in the teen's side of the coop have been blocked because they would sleep in them and mess them up. Those are still blocked, but I did open up the two exterior nestboxes and put fresh straw in them and moved the portable quad of nestboxes from the 12' side to the 8' teens' side and moved the hanging feeder a bit. Also, I took down the door between the two sides so there is better airflow now, even though the door had a screened opening at the top. Hopefully, roost time wont be too hairy! Also, my last chicks were sold today and except for my Dirty Dozen, the 4 week olds, out in the broody pen, I have no more bators running, no more tiny chicks in brooders! Yippee!!!!! (now watch someone go broody, LOL)

Edited because I can't type today.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Isn't that just the way? Happened to me right after an incubator hatch...4 hens went broody on me![​IMG]

10. speckledhen

OMgosh, now I have 44 birds in the main laying flock. When the entire group begins freeranging, how on earth will I ever know everyone is home?! It was hard enough to count 24!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by