Integrated layers with not yet layers....how do I feed them both?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ddmiddle7, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I am getting ready to integrate two 9 month old hens to my five 13 week olds. Question is how do I go about providing the two different ages their proper feed when I put them together. I am going to keep them separate but allow free ranging together for at least 2-3 more weeks. Unless I find out another reason not to.
    How do you guys do this when you integrate layers with younger, not yet laying hens?

Thanks,
    Dereck

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At that age, I feed Grower to all of them with a container of Oyster Shell on the side. The ones that need calcium ge it. The ones that don't, don't.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I feed them all developer feed and have a side tray with shells. The older birds eat the shells to get their calcium and they all eat developer so the young chickens only get what they should have.

4. ddmiddle7

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Quote:Really? why wouldn't you switch to Layer feed?
    Everything I have read says to switch to Layer feed when they start laying, right? Right now I am giving them both this: DuMOR[​IMG] Poultry Grower/Finisher 15% Feed, since that is what I was feeding my flock before I got the two 9 month olds. I was going to head to TSC today and get some of this: DuMOR[​IMG] Poultry Layer 16% Crumble for the older two.

Should I just stick with the Grower/Finisher for both and provide Oyster Shell for the older ones? Like i said they are in seperate coops right now, just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks,
    Dereck

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    My opinion is that is way to young. I integrate new pullets into the flock at 20 weeks of age. That way they can stand up to the beating they are going to get.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:Am I reading this correctly? Your 13-week-olds are laying? What breed are they?

7. ddmiddle7

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:The 13 week olds are the flock...I want to integrate the two new ones in with them...will this not work? If not I am going to have to figure something else out for the two older ones....since I took over our storage shed and blocked in all of our stuff with a wall so I could house these two temporarily. My wife isn't going to be happy she can't get to her stuff for even longer if that is the case. I got these two hens due to the fact they would be homeless if I didn't...my firend had to move into an apartment so I took them at last minutes notice badically.

8. ddmiddle7

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Am I reading this correctly? Your 13-week-olds are laying? What breed are they?

NO they are the not yet laying hens. The 13 week olds are my original flock and I have adopted these two 9 month olds and want to add them to my flock of 5.

9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I feed them all layer by that time. Having layer food doesn't hurt the non-layers (just so long as they aren't still chicks), just like roosters can eat layer food.

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ

NO they are the not yet laying hens. The 13 week olds are my original flock and I have adopted these two 9 month olds and want to add them to my flock of 5.

Got it. I think the biggest challenge is keeping the 13-week-olds from being bullied too much. Even though they are the incumbents, they are too small. Feed is really not a problem, as the 13-week-olds will develop just fine on layer's feed. Firsthand experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by