Integrated My New Keets

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by JLeigh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    I have four guineas about 15 weeks old, and two "new" keets that are about 8 weeks, maybe 9 (don't know for sure). Anyway, I put them together for the first time this morning and so far - - cross your fingers - - they seem to be getting along well. There was a little poking from the older guineas, but the younger ones immediately took a good dust bath, which started a dust bath frenzy, and then they all turned to fresh food and are wandering around looking for more. Interestingly, the younger ones want to get up under the older, and generally the older guineas don't mind at all. Hmmm. Parenting maybe? Submissive behavior? Or is it just that they're shorter? ;).

But whew.

I'm just happy about it, that's all. Just wanted to tell that I think I got something right!

Happy Holidays everyone!

2. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Don't you love it when things just work?! Thats great news! And yes I've seen that here submissive behaviour...... when a lower rank gets pecked by a dominant the lower pushes it's head under the dominant birds belly....... I love guinea fowl social behaviour, very fascinating and entertaining!

3. JLeigh

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Thanks, Bemba. Yes, I do love it when things work out. It's always "50/50" and sometimes it hasn't worked out for me. When the younger keets went up under the older ones, I wondered if it was submissive behavior. It makes sense - - and it worked. All guineas are happy. The younger ones follow the older, they eat, drink and follow each other around, make a lot of noise and please me to no end. they roost together at night, etc. I wish I knew more about their behavior and it's meaning...but I'm just happy to have them, and am looking forward to spring when I can incubate some eggs.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yep I agree, the younger birds getting under the older birds is a submissive behavior.... and in the process they are hiding their heads and avoiding the pecking, (pretty smart, considering their pea size brains, lol). I see this with my adults too, low birds on the totem pole make sure to let the Alpha birds know that they (the low birds) know who the bosses are... it's almost like if they submit before getting whomped on then the Alpha birds don't waste the energy whomping on them, lol.

Congrats J, glad things are going smoothly for you with your new flock. I know how you love Guineas and I'm happy for you that you finally have a nice little flock going, with a great coop/run set up for them and there will be lots of setting/ hatching fresh eggs (not shipped!) for you in the near future! [​IMG]

5. JLeigh

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Thanks, Peeps. It is rewarding, and it's "healing" (hate sappy stuff, but it's healing). They just seem so natural now. (Knock on wood.) I love both the boys and the four girls - even the mouthy female. I sit in the pen, and they "swarm" around me - mainly ignoring me, but will brush up against me with no problem if food is involved. They eat from my hand, they peck at my shoes, my jeans - anything that they might see as potential snacks. If I move too fast, they scatter of course, but they aren't afraid of me if I "behave". I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL SPRING!

And I just want to say that without your advice and support, I wouldn't have such a successful outcome. When you give me advice, I follow it. When you help us (me), you help the (my) guineas. I owe it all to you. No sh#t.

NOW GET NPIP CERTIFIED, WILL YA?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by