Integrated new chicks

sgtruglo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 22, 2018
New York
Hey everyone! We haven’t had to integrate flocks before so hoping for some tips! We have 3 hens left that are 2 years old. We have 8 chicks that are almost 8 weeks. When do you recommend trying to put them in same run and same coop? We have put the chicks in the run and the big hens have been able to see them through the mesh. So far , they don’t seem bothered by each other but curious how old should the chicks be before they are in same pen together? Any other tips appreciated.

Hey everyone! We haven’t had to integrate flocks before so hoping for some tips! We have 3 hens left that are 2 years old. We have 8 chicks that are almost 8 weeks. When do you recommend trying to put them in same run and same coop? We have put the chicks in the run and the big hens have been able to see them through the mesh. So far , they don’t seem bothered by each other but curious how old should the chicks be before they are in same pen together? Any other tips appreciated.
The sooner the better in my experience. Right now they’re small enough not to be seen as threat to resources or flock standings, and quick enough to get out of the way without much, if any, harm.

Thank you! Any signs where I would need to separate them again? Aggressive pecking or anything to watch? Will they do ok sleeping in coop together? Sorry, a little nervous to mix them.
No worries, I get it! I would try it the first time when you can stick around and observe for a little bit, and then maybe check on them again regularly at first just to make sure all is well. It might be helpful to keep multiple feeders and waterers that aren’t in sight of each other. Otherwise you have to cut the apron strings sooner or later. I know it can be nerve wracking at first, but as long as there’s no blood or serious issues it’s better not to interfere.

Thank you! Any signs where I would need to separate them
No worries, I get it! I would try it the first time when you can stick around and observe for a little bit, and then maybe check on them again regularly at first just to make sure all is well. It might be helpful to keep multiple feeders and waterers that aren’t in sight of each other. Otherwise you have to cut the apron strings sooner or later. I know it can be nerve wracking at first, but as long as there’s no blood or serious issues it’s better not to interfere.
We integrated the flock during day time, but take chicks back into garage at night due to space of new coop not finished yet. They did pretty good and keep away from each other most of the time. We had one issue when we intervened. One little one was separated from the other 7, and the 3 big hens went after her all at once. Like they almost tried to pin her down. Is that something that could happen again? Didn’t seem like normal pecking order stuff, it seemed like it would have seriously hurt the chick.
Thank you for listening and any tips.

Thank you! Any signs where I would need to separate them

We integrated the flock during day time, but take chicks back into garage at night due to space of new coop not finished yet. They did pretty good and keep away from each other most of the time. We had one issue when we intervened. One little one was separated from the other 7, and the 3 big hens went after her all at once. Like they almost tried to pin her down. Is that something that could happen again? Didn’t seem like normal pecking order stuff, it seemed like it would have seriously hurt the chick.
Thank you for listening and any tips.
of course, this is why we’re here :)

It could happen again, but it can happen to an adult bird too. In my experience it’s usually those chicks that learn the fastest to get out of the way. Having stuff around where the babies can get out of sight/mind is helpful. Also multiple feeders/waterers. I like to maintain an escape area for the chicks but not everyone does.

Would love some pics when you have a chance!

of course, this is why we’re here :)

It could happen again, but it can happen to an adult bird too. In my experience it’s usually those chicks that learn the fastest to get out of the way. Having stuff around where the babies can get out of sight/mind is helpful. Also multiple feeders/waterers. I like to maintain an escape area for the chicks but not everyone does.

Would love some pics when you have a chance!
New coop still under construction, and spring clean up hasn’t happened yet… but here’s our set up. Coop, covered run and then fenced place they go if it’s not snowing or raining.

Attachments

• FF40F6FB-2F4E-4E39-9754-4D08740FB0A2.jpeg
    FF40F6FB-2F4E-4E39-9754-4D08740FB0A2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 52C7E9D2-2A81-4CC2-9530-F76D86BF6502.jpeg
    52C7E9D2-2A81-4CC2-9530-F76D86BF6502.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom