Integrated

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eastbaychicks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Ah... it finally happened. Thanks heavens, cuz it was killing me to see the blood and gore (and I'm not being dramatic). My birdies all reside in the same place. I'm so happy!!!!

Some little angel shut the coop door to the older chickens run, and they just decided to sleep over with the little girls. The next morning, I was certain I would find a lot of squeaking and squawking but, instead I found 9 happy birdies, and two new eggs. My little girls copied the big girls. YIPPEE.

Now how to get them to use the nesting boxes to lay eggs and not sleep in them. Help!

2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    First, congratulations on 9 happy birdies! [​IMG]

As for your sleeping-in-the-nest-box problem...Do you have roosts that are higher than your nest boxes? They tend to like to go to the highest spot that's comfortable.

3. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Well.... if you get really precise, the highest nesting box is 1" higher than the roost. I've thought about raising the sleeping roost but I catch them all huddled together in the box. I think it's due to a pecking order... but I'm not sure. Any ideas will be used. Thanks!!!

I'm so happy they are all warm and cozy together. It was really cold around here (for Cali that is) in the upper 20's and I was sad for the two trying to stay warm together. But now they have 7 others to cuddle up to. Yea!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by