Integrating 10 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wlsngrl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Wlsngrl

Wlsngrl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG] This is a picture of my coop and my new chicks are working on integrating with my older laying pullets. There is not a door to the coop part, just an opening, so when I place the new chicks in the run, they are scared and will not stay back there. One night I think they huddled in a corner of the front of the run halfway in the waterer. After that night, I just take them back to my garage in their brooder. I thought if the others would peck them, they would run to the back of the coop to escape, but they won't. I also have another feeder for them and have been feeding them all starter and the layers oyster shell. I've read about placing them in at night and integrating that way, but the chicks just run back out to the run trying to get to a corner. They free range fine, little pecking and I even had them in a side pen next to the coop for awhile. I feel like I've tried all the usual things people suggest for integrating. My next option may be making a door to lock them all in at night, but is that not safe? Or I've also thought about adding an extension pen to the other side where there is another door. Any help is appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by