Integrating 11 month old rooster

Lily Ann

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
Hello all,

First off, what is the prime breeding age for a rooster?

Also, how would I integrate an 11 month old rooster with 3 month old chickens? The chickens are in their coop already and doing very well. No issues with them. Friends of ours are giving away one of their roosters because they don’t have enough hens and we are looking for a rooster so it works out. They hatched him and was raised under a hen. Very docile and has been around children and other hens|roosters all his life.

We were thinking of keeping him in the run with a tarp over it to protect him from rain and give shade. Our chickens would have the rest of the yard plus their coop. Would this be a good plan?

Be careful he doesn't bring in diseases your chicks haven't seen before. I only bring in chicks or hatching eggs to minimize diseases.

I personally would me him separated by a fence until you pullets are all laying or very close. They will all get to know each other through the fence, and he should integrate easily than.

Welcome to BYC!

OHLD's advice about bringing pests and diseases is very valid. BTDT.
I only bring in chicks or hatch them here anymore.

If this is your first year keeping chickens, you might want to wait to get a male.

They hatched him and was raised under a hen. Very docile and has been around children and other hens|roosters all his life.
Beware tho, he may be a different bird around your kids and pullets
once he doesn't have those older cocks and hens around too keep him in check.
Dealing with a cock/erel can be great or terrible,
when a small child is involved it can be devastating.
It's more about the humans behaviors than the birds'.
Humans need to understand how to be 'dominant', recognize subtly aggressive behaviors, and what can cause them to escalate or even begin. That can be hard for grownups to understand and apply, let alone children.
Sorry to be a debbiedowner, but the precious tiny child in your avatar prompts me to warn.

Here's a very good article to start learning about 'roosters' behaviors.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beekisseds-rooster-speak.73664/

Welcome to BYC!

OHLD's advice about bringing pests and diseases is very valid. BTDT.
I only bring in chicks or hatch them here anymore.

If this is your first year keeping chickens, you might want to wait to get a male.

Beware tho, he may be a different bird around your kids and pullets
once he doesn't have those older cocks and hens around too keep him in check.
Dealing with a cock/erel can be great or terrible,
when a small child is involved it can be devastating.
It's more about the humans behaviors than the birds'.
Humans need to understand how to be 'dominant', recognize subtly aggressive behaviors, and what can cause them to escalate or even begin. That can be hard for grownups to understand and apply, let alone children.
Sorry to be a debbiedowner, but the precious tiny child in your avatar prompts me to warn.

Here's a very good article to start learning about 'roosters' behaviors.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beekisseds-rooster-speak.73664/

THank you for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom