1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

integrating 2 1/2wk old chicks with day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boxermom, Apr 21, 2009.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I have 3 chicks that will be 2 weeks old on Thurs. I am getting 51 day old chicks on Sat. The large group will go into the large brooder box in the barn. The 3 older chicks have been in the basement in a plastic tub brooder. They need to get into a larger area. I would like to have them all in the big box. Would it be better to put the 3 in there now then add the little ones on Sat? or should the little ones have the box first, then add the older ones at a later date? The big box is about 5'X6' and approx 30" tall. the older ones will have flying room, as they don't have that option now and are getting tired banging into the hardware cloth on the top. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    really curious to hear the answer...wish I could help!

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I would give the dayolds a chance to get some bearings(learning where food/water comes from) before they have to contend with the older chicks, sounds funny calling a 2 week old, the older chick, but they will be more mature in the ways of the world compared to newly hatched.

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    will they pick on them or possibly kill them?

I ask because I was concerned about getting chicks that were 3 days different in age and there seemed to be some concern about that???

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I wouldnt worry about 3 days difference, but 2 1/2 week difference is like putting a baby in with a 5 year old, they both seem inocent, but the 2 1/2 week one is much stronger, and has already learned the basics, thier little chest bumping could be enough to injure one that is just learning how to walk.

6. NorthernAZchickens

NorthernAZchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    I was going to have the same question about my 10 day olds and some day old chicks. From what I've found from my reading from this forum and books is that they should be able to adapt to each other it just may take a little time. First, let you babies have a day or 2 or 3 to develop and get some strength. While doing this you may want the older ones to be in the same room near enough that they will be able to hear each other. Then give them supervised visits. Watch for excessive pecking or bullying. Also make sure there is enough room in the brooder. You don't want the older ones smothering the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by