Integrating 5 week olds with 8-9 week olds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rsarns, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    OK, I have 14 8 week old "chicks" in the coop/run area for the last few weeks. Now I also have 6 4 week olds that are still in the brooder (heat lamp has been turned off for a few weeks now), they are all feathered in and old enough with our semi-mild weather to get outside. My intentions are to integrate them next week and keep an eye on how that goes. The coop is big, and the run is 24x24, so plenty of room for the young ones to "avoid' any issues. DOes this sound about right, or should I wait a bit longer. The chicks in the brooder are getting big and need to be out where there is more room.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds great. Good luck!

3. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks! I am thinking the older ones aren't much older so it should go pretty well....

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Put the 5 week olds in with the 14 older chicks today, put them in the coop while the others were outside. One of the BR and BO went outside immediately. The other 4 stayed in the coop. I gave them some time then put them in the 24x24 run with all the rest, went in with them just in case. At first several of the older hens came running up and started to peck on one of the Buff Orps, not too bad though. I broke it up and stayed out there for an hour with all of them. After a bit they separated into 2 distinct flocks, and went about there business. I thought maybe to bring some treats to them and see what happened, put out some meal worms, and boss by the young ones. The BR's chicks are the brave ones... they jumped right in the middle of all the rest and started to eat, with no issues. However, everytime one of the BO's got close they would get chased away. When I left the BR and BO chicks were still together and the others were leaving them alone. How long does it normally take for integration to happen and should I be worried about the evening when they all go inside to roost?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    There will be some squabbling for a couple of weeks. And yes, roost time will be hard on them at first, but they'll get the picture to wait until the older ones are on the roost before they jump up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by