Integrating 9 wk chicks & mom

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
I'm looking for suggestions on when I can integrate these chicks (& mom) with the other adults.

Tiny flock: 1 roo, 2 hens, one of whom is a bantam & hatched & raised 4 chicks in an adjoining coop & run, visible to the others. Mom & chicks are still living in it. Chicks now 9 wks old & taller than their bantam mom (they're standards).
Chicks & mom started spending time out in the chicken yard at 2.5 wks, first just themselves, then sectioned off from the other two adults for a week... but now, for the past couple of weeks, all together for a few hours to most of the day. Mom & chicks still hang around together 95% of the time. Oh, and the little family has spent 40 min here or there in the adults' coop; mom takes them in while the adults are dust bathing outside, but the adults have popped in on them a few times - roo likes to stay in, head hen stares or stalks & pecks a little, ignores, or just walks out.

Head hen occasionally walks over & pecks one or two chicks (one or two times, nothing major) while they're all outside, but on these hot days I think she's just can't afford to care much. Plus the yard is plenty big for separation. She does have a history of being Very bossy with newcomers over the years however.
The roo has been nice with them, Except... for the past week he's started to try to mate with one (or more?) of the chicks. I'm afraid of that because of the size difference. Of course, he's frustrated, having only one adult hen, & now, finally, his second adult hen back occasionally. His spurs have a dull, point-in-progress at this time.
Mom - well, she does get pecked occasionally by the head hen... unless the roo mounts her, at which time the head hen runs over and gives her a good few pecks (ugh!!)! (I've sometimes stopped the hen from doing this.)

The roo and head hen are standard size, & still much larger than the chicks.

So... Any suggestions on when I can take down the screen wall & rejoin the coops (adding a perpendicular 10.5 ft in length), & let the chicks into the big coop and roost? The way the adult roost is laid out, I wouldn't be able to "fence off" an area for the little family to use to ease their way in without blocking the doorway.
*A final note: out of the 4 chicks, I think I'll be lucky if I end up with 1 hen... and then the roos will have to go :( So, all this for maybe 1 addition to the flock. : /
*Pics: First 2 are today, in adult coop. #3: head hen giving the stink eye at little family dust bathing yesterday. #4: H hen leaving them alone, foraging. #5: In adult coop. #6: H hen dust bathing behind them. Mom looks taller standing on water tub.

Attachments

• 20200726_172000.jpg
    20200726_172000.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200726_171919.jpg
    20200726_171919.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200726_135456.jpg
    20200726_135456.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200726_135147.jpg
    20200726_135147.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200726_133857.jpg
    20200726_133857.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200726_175137.jpg
    20200726_175137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'd probably remove that rooster, and add the rest back to the main coop. Is your rooster young? He should not be mating young birds like that. An adult rooster should know better.

So your standard rooster only has one standard hen and a bantam hen? Are these chicks his offspring? He should have several more standard hens and many think it is not safe to have a full size roo in with a bantam hen due to the risk of injury while attempting to mate.

You have had chickens for 6 years?

I'd probably remove that rooster, and add the rest back to the main coop. Is your rooster young? He should not be mating young birds like that. An adult rooster should know better.
The rooster is 12 or 13 months old.
I have been working with him... When he's tried to mate with one of the younger ones, I've gone and lowered his head to the ground. After doing this, he has often looked to me before looking at one of the younger ones, or - more recently - has left them alone altogether. I'm not saying the system is a great one, and maybe it's not sustainable, but I'm hoping I can establish a kind of "harem" of my own as head roo - the young chicks - while allowing him to be the roo over the adults.
This roo still lets me pick him up and carry him around first thing in the morning (which is most often when I do it), and at other times in the day if I decide to. My purpose in picking him up regularly was simply to try to always remind him that I'm head roo.

Last edited:
The rooster is about 13 months old.
I have been working with him... When he's tried to mate with one of the younger ones, I've gone and lowered his head to the ground. After doing this, he has often looked to me before looking at one of the younger ones, or - more recently - has left them alone altogether. I'm not saying the system is a great one, and maybe it's not sustainable, but I'm hoping I can establish a kind of "harem" of my own as head roo - the young chicks - while allowing him to be the roo over the adults.
This roo still lets me pick him up and carry him around first thing in the morning (which is most often when I do it), and at other times in the day if I decide to. My purpose in picking him up regularly was simply to try to always remind him that I'm head roo.
Well he sounds like a good roo overall. He does need more hens to mate though, so if any in this batch turn out to be roos I would prob give them away and get more hens, maybe even sooner. Are these chicks his? Has he mated all of them? Does he seem aggressive towards any of them? His behavior towards them may indicate whether hen or roo

So your standard rooster only has one standard hen and a bantam hen? Are these chicks his offspring? He should have several more standard hens and many think it is not safe to have a full size roo in with a bantam hen due to the risk of injury while attempting to mate.

You have had chickens for 6 years?
Yes, it's a tiny flock... Over the years, I've lost some due to predators and such... So, completely unfair to my roo, to only have 2 hens... one of whom is raising chicks next door. I have a mating saddle on the head hen with whom he lives in the adult coop. She's doing well. She's got lots of confidence.
And has it been 6 yrs? I might have joined this group a year before getting chickens. Anyway, this is the First time I've ever hatched chicks, so that's all new to me.
Also, I didn't always have a rooster. I got this guy (at 3 months, back in Sept.) because my head hen was lording it over too much with the others at that time. She's been behaving better since.
My purpose of hatching chicks was to expand the flock, particularly the number of hens for the roo. Of course, that's always a crap shoot (number of roo vs. hens).
But the roo I had before this guy also was a standard with 3 bantams and 1 standard hen. I had the same concerns about size difference, but I looked into it with experienced chicken keepers and had lots of people saying they'd never seen problems with a standard roo and bantam hen... and none of the hens had problems with him.

A male that old shouldn't be trying to breed with chicks. I would get more hens though, even if you get one from this group. I wouldn't worry as much depending on the Bantams breed. What is she and how much does he weigh? I've had some bantams do really well with standard roos depending on both their sizes

Well he sounds like a good roo overall. He does need more hens to mate though, so if any in this batch turn out to be roos I would prob give them away and get more hens, maybe even sooner. Are these chicks his? Has he mated all of them? Does he seem aggressive towards any of them? His behavior towards them may indicate whether hen or roo
I agree that he does need more hens. And that's the reason I decided to hatch some chicks.
By the way, the bantam mom has started to make herself more available to him for mating (getting back to acting like a hen and not only a mom) in this past week, which makes him happy, I'm sure, but which might indicate it won't be very long before she transitions away from her brood (and tomorrow, they will be 10 weeks old)?
The chicks are not his. I actually wanted to try to have more standards, not bantams, so I got eggs from a chicken keeper friend. My standard hen has never gone broody, and she's 4 yrs old. (My bantam goes broody at the drop of a hat!)
No, he hasn't mated all of the chicks, and he so far has only mated whomever a few times over the past couple weeks.
I thought the same thing - just see who he's trying to mate with, and then I'll know who's a female! But dang it- they're all the same color!!! I know one is a roo for sure. And I got a 50/50 call by other chicken keepers on another one. I'll upload a couple picks that I took of one chick today. Gosh, I'm really hoping for at least 2 hens out of the four...
Oh, and he's pecked the one I know is a roo twice that I know of - but just kind of "checking" him, in transition, not fighting him. And I noticed at least once that the little roo was being kind of wild - flying towards another chick, and chest butting, right near my rooster. So I feel he was keeping him in check. But I've also seen my roo just be with this little one most of the time and not care at all. In fact, this little roo is definitely an alpha type, and for that reason, I'm sure I will have to find another place/situation for him. This little guy is definitely an alpha. He even jumped on the roof a couple of times the past 2 days.

I agree that he does need more hens. And that's the reason I decided to hatch some chicks.
By the way, the bantam mom has started to make herself more available to him for mating (getting back to acting like a hen and not only a mom) in this past week, which makes him happy, I'm sure, but which might indicate it won't be very long before she transitions away from her brood (and tomorrow, they will be 10 weeks old)?
The chicks are not his. I actually wanted to try to have more standards, not bantams, so I got eggs from a chicken keeper friend. My standard hen has never gone broody, and she's 4 yrs old. (My bantam goes broody at the drop of a hat!)
No, he hasn't mated all of the chicks, and he so far has only mated whomever a few times over the past couple weeks.
I thought the same thing - just see who he's trying to mate with, and then I'll know who's a female! But dang it- they're all the same color!!! I know one is a roo for sure. And I got a 50/50 call by other chicken keepers on another one. I'll upload a couple picks that I took of one chick today. Gosh, I'm really hoping for at least 2 hens out of the four...
Oh, and he's pecked the one I know is a roo twice that I know of - but just kind of "checking" him, in transition, not fighting him. And I noticed at least once that the little roo was being kind of wild - flying towards another chick, and chest butting, right near my rooster. So I feel he was keeping him in check. But I've also seen my roo just be with this little one most of the time and not care at all. In fact, this little roo is definitely an alpha type, and for that reason, I'm sure I will have to find another place/situation for him. This little guy is definitely an alpha. He even jumped on the roof a couple of times the past 2 days.
Well, I would wait and see how that turns out, if they haven't fought eachother so far. Him jumping on the roof is comical, but I don't see how that proves an alpha personality lol. But the incident where he chest butted with the other roo does indicate that. Perhaps the person who was going to take your one roo would take the chick instead 😆 but anyways I've seen situations where roos got along despite there being too many of them and even despite alpha personalities, but my experiance is not extensive. Mainly I've seen my mother's bantam flock, which had originally 2 alpha type males, one iffy one, and one total submissive, and the two alphas after having a few scuffles and battles eventually called truce and had a pres vice pres relationship I swear, cause they both kept the other roos and hens in check and crowed together and didn't fight eachother, and when alpha roo died the second in command took over. Now the iffy one and him have established the same relationship. Of course these ones were raised as chicks together, and it can be very different when introducing new roos. Though with this one being a chick of one of his hens (though not biologically) it may be different than a totally strange roo being introduced, which usually doesn't go well. But I wish you the best of luck, and more hens!

A male that old shouldn't be trying to breed with chicks. I would get more hens though, even if you get one from this group. I wouldn't worry as much depending on the Bantams breed. What is she and how much does he weigh? I've had some bantams do really well with standard roos depending on both their sizes
Oh, gosh, I can't count!!! My roo is either 11 or 12 months old.
I don't know my bantam's breed. I was told she's a Cochin, but a couple years later, someone said she's a Brahma. She's the blond hen in the pics in my first post. She's standing on top of the water bin in one and standing around under a tree in another. I think she was 3 lbs when I last weighed her.
I haven't weighed my rooster, but he feels light to me. He's lighter than my Australorpe hen (the black hen in one of the pics).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom