Integrating a broody hen back into flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by liz allen, Jul 8, 2011.

1. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Does anyone know how to get an ex broody hen back to the flock? she's a light sussex( who apparently aren't supposed to go broody, we now have another one!!)
    We moved the run and house whilst she was with chicks and now seems confused to where she is supposed to go and has taken up residence almost permanently in my living room on the sofa. She decided she'd had enough of the chicks when they were 7 weeks. She free ranges with the other hens all day and hangs around next to the chicks run and will wander around with them whist they are out, they are now 12 weeks, but gets distressed when she is in the main run which makes the others on edge and they started attacking her, and at the next available opportunity she legs it up to the house and has even been found asleep under a bed and sittiing in the upstairs bathroom.
    Should i try integrating her back in with the chicks and try moving her into the main flock with them when the time is right? or just go for it and try again with the old lot?

2. the209jungalist

the209jungalist Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Stockton
    I know this may sound silly but have you tried putting her out into the coop at night? That has been the best time for me adding a new addition or one that was injured and had to be reintroduced to the flock.

3. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    i'll give it a try, as she needs to learn to be a chicken again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by