Integrating a hen into the flock vs keeping her as a pet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nc farm, Nov 13, 2014.

1. nc farm

nc farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    We have the sweetest Golden Laced Wyandotte hen, but she prefers to be with humans rather than the flock. Our other chickens do not pick on her, but she is scared to death of them. She runs and hides if any of them come near her. We have two roosters and eleven hens altogether. The other ones more or less hang in groups. They are all free range. Goldie is so submissive and because she is always alone, I worry about a predator getting her. She is super tame and actually likes to be held. Earlier, she was in the house with me for about a half hour, then I brought her back outside. I honestly think she would be happy as a pet, but not sure how feasible that would be. Was thinking of getting a large bird cage and keeping her on our screen porch, taking her out several times a day to socialize. Wondering if anyone else has had a hen like Goldie and kept it as a pet. We just got her about two weeks ago, so it is possible she might eventually work her way into the flock, but so far she would rather be with our family and our dogs. She actually prefers being with the dogs over the other chickens! Last night when we did our nightly roost check, she was no where to be found. She came walking up to my husband this morning, but I'm worried next time she will be gone! Appreciate any advice. She is the sweetest thing!

2. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    My Rhode Island red is like that. She was even raised with the flock and she does her own thing. I also hVe a pair of wyandotte hens who were raised after my initial flock of 8 and they keep to themselves. She will be okay. Just needs to get used to the others. Try giving them all treats together. And playing with them all together

3. nc farm

nc farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Lexington, NC
    Will do. She does let one of the hens near her as long as I'm there, too. I'm just worried when she leaves the flock at night. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by