Integrating a mixed flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HummelBee, Mar 1, 2017.

1. HummelBee

HummelBee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    Hi! My husband and I, after a few years of bouncing the idea around have gotten our first flock! We jumped in all the way and got 8 chicks and 3 ducklings who range between 3 and 4 weeks old. They were in a brooder in our garage, until my husband completed their coop which has electric and we moved them out there to have more room. We cordoned off a section for them so that it would stay warmer and stays at 80°. We were given a trio of 5 month old Ancona ducks a few days ago which I just LOVE, but they're very skittish and spooked right now with the move and the lady we got them from did ZERO work to accustom them to human interaction. Yayyy. We put them in the other portion of the coop to quarantine them and get them used to their new digs until they mellow out. Everything was going pretty ok, until this morning. I went out to check on the babies and the Anconas had broken down the wire and wood barricade and were mixed in with the little ones. No one was injured. No one was scared and the ducklings were even huddling underneath the 5 month olds at this point. But the poor chicks just looked so annoyed and were trying to huddle away in a corner from the giant webbed feet everywhere. We're thinking about opening the entire coop back up, leaving the ducklings in with the bigguns, and putting the chicks back in a brooder in the garage until they're a bit larger and more easily defended. We've read a bunch about introductions between babies and adult ducks going badly, so the question is, will this all go south and leave poor Sean Thornton, Katherine, and Mary Kate the Khaki babies dead or suffering, or since no one got hurt thus far should it be pretty safe?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I have no experience of keeping chickens and ducks together and I'd say that you may get some good advice if you post your question on the duck forum (many duck keepers have also kept / keep chickens) - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Best wishes
    CT

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never tried to raise chickens and ducks together. Hopefully, the duck forum members will be able to answer your questions.

Best of luck!

4. HummelBee

HummelBee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    Thanks! I'll have to see

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    2 people like this.
  6. HummelBee

HummelBee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Springfield, MO
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under HummelBee [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by