Integrating a mixed flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HummelBee, Mar 1, 2017.

1. HummelBee

HummelBee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    Hi! I had this elsewhere and was advised to post here in the hopes of some more accurate advice! My husband and I, after a few years of bouncing the idea around have gotten our first flock! We jumped in all the way and got 8 chicks and 3 ducklings who range between 3 and 4 weeks old. They were in a brooder in our garage, until my husband completed their coop which has electric and we moved them out there to have more room. We cordoned off a section for them so that it would stay warmer and stays at 80°. We were given a trio of 5 month old Ancona ducks a few days ago which I just LOVE, but they're very skittish and spooked right now with the move and the lady we got them from did ZERO work to accustom them to human interaction. Yayyy. We put them in the other portion of the coop to quarantine them and get them used to their new digs until they mellow out. Everything was going pretty ok, until this morning. I went out to check on the babies and the Anconas had broken down the wire and wood barricade and were mixed in with the little ones. No one was injured. No one was scared and the ducklings were even huddling underneath the 5 month olds at this point. But the poor chicks just looked so annoyed and were trying to huddle away in a corner from the giant webbed feet everywhere. We're thinking about opening the entire coop back up, leaving the ducklings in with the bigguns, and putting the chicks back in a brooder in the garage until they're a bit larger and more easily defended. We've read a bunch about introductions between babies and adult ducks going badly, so the question is, will this all go south and leave poor Sean Thornton, Katherine, and Mary Kate the Khaki babies dead or suffering, or since no one got hurt thus far should it be pretty safe?

2. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Just handle the anconas, and throw some drakes in with them. Preferably a drake like a Khaki Campbell so the anconas will get used to Khaki Campbells. Also, the babies should not be in with larger ducks until they are juveniles. Hope I helped!

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have raised sevrel chcikens ducks.Together.If there is no fighting,I do not see the problem.Of course the 5 months probably may run them off from but as long as you have sevrel watering stations and food and lots of space,it should workm

4. HummelBee

HummelBee Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Springfield, MO
    I've been standing around chatting at them for a few minutes several times a day and trying to pick them up and hold on until they calm down at least once a day, but they're borderline wild, they're starting to get a bit better. I'm really only considering leaving the babies because they're following the big ones around everywhere and the Anconas were kind of keeping them from my view. I do have a drake, the trio is two females and one male and I suspect one of my khakis is a drake as well although I bought them straight run. He's about twice the size, barely makes a peep even if nervous and is just generally calmer than the other two

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    So you have a grown drake?Thenbabues should not be around him.He will mire then likely mate him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by