Integrating a new chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 23, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got a new bantam cochin pullet from another BYC member tonight. I plan on putting her with my trio that I already have. What is the best way to do it?
    The trio is in a large rabbit hutch at the moment, but since there will be 4 now, they will swap with the 2 millies that are in a somewhat larger tractor.

My dad said to put the new one in the hutch with them at night so she will just 'be there' in the morning. I was planning on putting her in the tractor first, then putting the trio in. I figured from everyone getting moved to a new cage, they would be too disturbed by the switch to worry about someone new in there.

Neither the hutch or the tractor are big enough to keep the new pullet in for any length of time, so I don't think that is really an option.

Any thoughts?

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Alot of members here say to keep the new one away for a certain time to avoid any diseases the new one might have . I've never done this . If you live somewhere that disease is predominant then I would take precautions , if not , then just put the new one in at night with the old . This way you reduce any friction between them . I've never had a problem introducing new ones to the flock other than the new one stays away for a few days . Some fights may occur , but that's usually to establish the " pecking " order . Hope this helps .[​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    So he is right for once? [​IMG]

I goofed in my first post. It is supposed to say 'Neither the hutch or the tractor are big enough to keep the new pullet in in a cage for any length of time, so I don't think that is really an option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by