Integrating a new flock in a new yard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Birdmania, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Birdmania

Birdmania Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    I have a small flock (9) of mixed breed girls that are about 18-19 weeks old. I am trying to integrate 3 10-11 week old chocolate orphinton pullets. Things are not going well at all.
    I am currently building a new coop and run which will be much bigger. I was thinking that when it is finished I could put the younger girls in it first for a day or two and then bring the others in a few each day until everyone is living together. I am hoping this system will make integration easier.
    Any thoughts or has anyone tried this?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

by things are not going well what do you mean? what have you tried?

3. Birdmania

May 1, 2016
    I have the younger pullets in a extra large dog crate inside the run with my older girls for over 3 weeks now but when I let them out of the crate my older girls all gang up on them and chase them until the get one cornered and will peck at that one viciously until I put a stop to it. They will hurt them if I don't stop them.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How big is your current coop and run? What are the exact dimensions of both?

5. Birdmania

May 1, 2016
    the run is 10' x 18' with a 4x8 coop at one end. (attached but outside the run area)

6. Birdmania

May 1, 2016
    the new run and coop area will be a 10x30 run with a 4x16 coop

7. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

By things are not going well, I'll assume that you are integrating by just putting them all together?
    That's not a good idea as the older ones usually always pick on the younger newcomers. You've got quite an age difference there.

When integrating new birds (after quarantine) with current birds, I use a fence between them in the coop and in the run.
    This way they can see each other without harm. After a week, I will bring my most gentle hens into the new birds' area.
    I then sit in my chair and observe[​IMG]
    Normal pecking order happens of course but if I see a genuine attack start, I remove the hens.

You may have to do this several times before they can be together but slow integration is the best way.
    After they are all pretty good with one another, it should be a good time to move all of them to the new coop together.

This is what works for us and just wanted to share with you.
    Best wishes!

8. Birdmania

May 1, 2016
    Thank you for your input. All information is useful.

9. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

You are most welcome, Birdmania!
    I wish you a successful integration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by