Integrating a new hen

Got_me_chook

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2020
Hi everyone! The first of my flock ended up being almost all roosters. I'm down to about 1roo, and had bought 4 hens from a breeder that were all raised together; 3 I picked up the first week as we couldn't catch the 4th and then a week later i got the 4th. I integrated them all together at night and the 3 are sticking together but all 10 hens are picking on this last one. I have had her seperated for a month now as I work shift work and wanted to be off a few days to watch her as we integrate and now want to reintegrate her. Do I need to get another hen and introduce two together at night? (After a quarantine period) She is a lone hen and seems to get picked on and at this point she thinks she's a pet

Can the new chicken see the others and vice a versa (look don't touch method)?
Yes she's been in a dog crate and I either keep her in the coop where they lay or put her outside the pen directly facing them. It had been almost a month now and yesterday I let them all out of the pen and her too. I should have done the night introduction like I had done with her the first time but the first time they almost killed her. She will defend herself against the 3 she was raised with and seems to be higher on the pecking order than them and then the other 7 basically surround her and keep going at her and after about 10 minutes of constant attacking I had to pull her out. I wasn't sure if I could get another hen and then introduce them together after a few weeks. Otherwise I worry that they'll kill her indoors this winter

Might be simpler to give the single bird back, this is gonna take some time and effort.
I'd put one of the other hens in with the single.
Would be good if the segregation area was more than a dog crate.
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics might help here

I could likely seperate a spot there. It has been some work and I'm running out of time for the cold. I ended up just letting her roam the yard daily and she goes in my garden. My kids are pretty attached to her as she loves the attention so I'm going to keep trying. I wonder what would happen if i put her in the roost at dark and then in the morning just keep the pen open so they can have range of my whole yard. Or if they would still end up fighting when they get put back in the pen. Thanks for your help with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_205433.jpg
    IMG_20200523_205433.jpg
    945.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom