Integrating a roo

The Farmers' Daughter

Bob's biggest Fan
Aug 2, 2017
Darwell Alberta
Hi.
I'm getting a roo tomorrow. I'm actually really excited about it.

I know that there are advocates for and against quarantine. I'd love to hear from both sides.

Do I integrate him the same way I'd integrate hens? Separated but beside each other?

Yes do that for a couple of days to make sure he isn't sick. Then introduce them when they're out and about if you free range otherwise do it introducing a couple at a time. Also give Apple cider vinegar mixed in water, as this will help. Don't buy if he looks sick. Good luck

Hello...Quarintine is never done properly anyways with limited space..Unless total Bio-Security is taken?..Disease will spread..How I introduced my Rooster..He was a Cockerel the same age as most of my Pullets..Are your Birds over 1 year old?..Is it a Rooster or a Cockerel your introducing?..Is he over 1 year?..
Age of all Birds involved play into the integration...
Anyways, this is what I have done..I put him into a Dog crate out in the yard as the Hens/Pullets free range and I toss scratch grain close by the cage so the Hens see him..About an hour or two later I let him out...Good Roosters will not attack a Hen..He should act shy at first and then after a few days he will start to woo them..
Best wishes....

Hello...Quarintine is never done properly anyways with limited space..Unless total Bio-Security is taken?..Disease will spread..How I introduced my Rooster..He was a Cockerel the same age as most of my Pullets..Are your Birds over 1 year old?..Is it a Rooster or a Cockerel your introducing?..Is he over 1 year?..
Age of all Birds involved play into the integration...
Anyways, this is what I have done..I put him into a Dog crate out in the yard as the Hens/Pullets free range and I toss scratch grain close by the cage so the Hens see him..About an hour or two later I let him out...Good Roosters will not attack a Hen..He should act shy at first and then after a few days he will start to woo them..
Best wishes....
He's about a year old I believe. The hens are all about 18 months old.

Thanks for the tip. That's a much quicker integration than I was anticipating.

Unfortunately I got home just as it was getting dark so all of the girls were roosting already. I brought a pullet home as well, both buckeyes. I could only snap a pic of him because it was dark. It turns out that he's younger than I thought (May hatch). 20171105_171751.jpg

Back
Top Bottom