Integrating a single chick into the flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NaomiSarah, Aug 7, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    My broody hens hatched some eggs outside today, and I'm planning on giving them my little single chick who is about one week old. The broodies aren't particularly friendly though, so I need hints on how to introduce my single indoor hatch without causing a fight! Anyone have a single hatch they snuck under a broody and convinced her she hatched herself?

2. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    Sorry to do this, but bump?

3. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    In case anyone was reading this, I tucked little Pip under a mama's wing out there, and she took him in and pecked the poop outta me! I think she likes her new son!!! Hehehehe :) Now just hoping the dear thing is smart enough to stay tucked under there.

4. Bandit

Bandit Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    My broody's pink plastic easter egg hatched into four little black babies and the broody is now a fierce mom and literally growls if we get too close! Amazing! And the babies definitely know who is the mom.

5. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    Hahahaha that's excellent! Yes, mom and chick are quite happy out there today! He still recognizes me when I approach, but that makes broody mom VERY unhappy! I'll just leave them alone now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: