Integrating bantams with big egg layers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shortnsweet1025, Jul 27, 2010.

1. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I have nine existing chickens... 3 Red stars, a black sex link, 2 jersey giants, 2 americanas, and a silkie (all hens). They are all between 3-4 months old. The giants being the youngest, just now starting to outgrow the rest. Yesterday the lady I buy my exotic chickens from gave me a mille fleur d'uccle hen. I also have a young silkie about the size of her.

I waited until it was past roosting time to let my existing flock back in their coop for the night with the two newbies after free ranging all day. They didn't pay any attention to them. This morning I went out and let them out about 7:00. This evening I put them back a lil early to see what would happen.

They first went and ate and when one (new) would walk close to the feeder they would chase it and peck it. They even started pecking the existing silkie like they didn't recognize her. But the mille fleur hen was getting the worst of it. They even pulled out a couple feathers. She has an advatage though, she can fly to get away up on top of the nest boxes.

So my question is, will they eventually stop picking on her? If they do, when can I start letting the new ones out to free range as well? I put a couple hiding places in there where the big ones can't fit.

Also, I have six young about 6-8 week old polish pullets... When can I introduce them?

Any suggestions would be great.

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Hi, eventually they will work out there pecking order. What I have done is create safe zones in the coop(hiding places) so the ones being picked on can get away from the others. It didn't take but a few days for them to settle down. Just make sure the ones being picked on get some extra time with food and water.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I close the door on the coop after I let the rest of them out and don't let them back in til it's almost time to roost. So they are in there all day with full access to the food and water. Thanks for your comment. =-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by