integrating broody and chicks back to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by new chick 203, Jul 25, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I have a banty who was the top girl of a small flock of full size hens. She went broody and I let her hatch a couple of eggs. I separated her and her babies to give them a stress free environment, but they have been near enough to see each other. They are now 9 weeks old and are LF so are now getting bigger than Mama. I tried to free range them together today, and it didn't really go too well. They pecked at the 9 week olds a bit, but they full on attacked the mama (who is, as I mentioned a bantam). She clearly isn't the top of the pecking order anymore.

Here is what I did. I put mama and girls in the big run with coop and I put big mean girls in the smaller one. Will this switch-a-roo take them down a peg? I hate pecking order drama! Thanks.

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    That sounds like a good plan. Whenever I have trouble integrating, I put the newbies in the main chicken house and remove the mean ones for a while.

3. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I was thinking that in a day or 2 I could bring back one of the mean girls, then a few days later the other. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by