1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Integrating broody and single 2 week old chick - this plan okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by appps, Oct 26, 2014.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I had every intention of integrating my single chick and mom back into the flock around 5-8 weeks. They are currently separated but very visible and a week ago a hen who had gone broody (but since broken of this) tried quite viciously to attack it through the wire.

Yesterday however I started rethinking this plan. The chick managed to get itself out of the broody pen and into the general population. When my daughter discovered it the whole rest of the flock of five hens was standing round it peacefully (including last weeks would be attacker) while mummy broody freaked out on her side of the fence. Even when we were catching it and so it started running round them they just looked and nobody pecked. We popped him back with mum and they both were quite distressed but happy to be back together.

So.....that got me rethinking and reading a few post and I'm starting to think I'm actually asking for bigger problems integrating a single chick later rather than earlier?

I plan to let them into their own areas but then after everyone has had breakfast and they aren't in bad moods because hungry lol open the gate between the two areas and see how it goes.

Broody used to be bottom of the pecking order btw.

Anything I should make sure to do to make for a peaceful integration?

Is this a good plan?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Since they reacted as they did, I would probably try both the chick and the mama together with the flock now. I like to let my mamas raise their chicks in with the flock. I suspect being formerly at the bottom of the pecking order wll not really be an issue now, as mama's instincct to protect her chicks should override an old pecking order.

Chickens being living thisngs, though, the truth is, you never know what will work til you try it.

3. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    And a slight update. The attacking one from last week attacked mom instead who instead of running as she always has before stood up to her which resulted in a full on throwing themselves at each other chest bumping fight.

Winry the attacker has been put out of the pen into the backyard, the rest of the flock is hiding in the broody pen and penny and little peep are in their bit of run off the broody pen and not happy.

Went beautifully lol

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    So glad it all worked out. And [​IMG]you go mama hen! [​IMG]

5. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

I was being sarcastic lol. Went terribly.

I'm thinking I'll just have to try each afternoon after work as I can't leave them in supervised if it's going to end like that. While the big girls will probably work it out eventually poor little peep nearly got trampled and so don't want to leave them for the day fighting like that .

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    If the one hen is the only one being a bully, then you could quarantine her from everyone for a week and put mama and little peep in with the others. After a week try putting the bully back in. After that long the pecking order will rearrange and maybe she'll mind her manners then.

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah I'm thinking that's going to have to be what I try. Unfortunately they were all so freaked by it mum hen went super defensive with everyone so I called it a day before she set someone else off.

I think I'll try supervised free ranging this week so they are able to get away more but with miss cranky pants locked up during it so I can see hoe the rest of the flock react.

8. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    And that failed too.... Another chook attacked the mum. The chick seems to be flying under the radar but nobody seems happy about the previously bottom of the pecking order standing up for herself. I expected the normal pecking order stuff, not this full on pretending its a cock fight throwing themselves at each other.

I might just have to wait till the baby is the same size as mum and put them back together.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by