Integrating chicks of different ages

IOT

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2020
I received my last batch of chickens (for now, lol!) yesterday and so I have all members of the chicken family in. I have three sets of chicks that are different ages and will ultimately share space, so I'm looking for advise on the best way to do the integrations. These are all hens.

The oldest set is two chicks, one is six weeks old, the other one is eight weeks old. They were raised together and are now spending most of their day time outside in the coop. I bring them in to their brooder at night (because this is not their final coop, and I don't feel entirely confident is safe enough. The final coop is coming in about ten days).

The next set is four chicks who are two-weeks old. They are in their own brooder.

Then yesterday I received three chicks, so these are just two days old, they are also in their own brooder.

What do you recommend in terms of when and how and in what order to integrate these chicks?

Thanks so much in advance!

I would put the two younger batches in together. They’re both still pretty close in age and I’ve done that myself and had excellent results.
in the meantime I’d do the see but not touch rule with the oldest batch and the two younger batches. Once the younger batch is about 6-8 weeks I would integrate while supervised and then go from there.

I would put the two younger batches in together. They’re both still pretty close in age and I’ve done that myself and had excellent results.
in the meantime I’d do the see but not touch rule with the oldest batch and the two younger batches. Once the younger batch is about 6-8 weeks I would integrate while supervised and then go from there.

Thanks! Would you wait a couple of days to integrate the two younger batches, or is sooner better?

Thanks! Would you wait a couple of days to integrate the two younger batches, or is sooner better?
When I did it, my four older chicks were about two weeks roughly and my wife got a new batch every couple days for the next week it seemed.
I honestly dumped them all in together right away.
Key thing when doing it, just spend some time watching them.
After 10-15 minutes I’d say they’re good to go.
They’re still plenty young and getting them in together sooner will help them bond better I believe.

I would also implement the see but don’t touch after a couple days. Find a way that works for you.
Baby gates with plywood on top are amazing! Lol
Gives them room and keeps them separated. And allows them to see and smell each other

Just wanted to report that I successfully integrated the two younger batches of chicks. I was worried about the two-week olds pecking the younger ones, but it was actually the other way around, a brave baby "attacking" one of the two-week-olds. But it was brief and after that, they did well and they are all getting along very nicely!

Just wanted to report that I successfully integrated the two younger batches of chicks. I was worried about the two-week olds pecking the younger ones, but it was actually the other way around, a brave baby "attacking" one of the two-week-olds. But it was brief and after that, they did well and they are all getting along very nicely!

That is great to hear! How is the see but not touch going with the older batch Vs the younger batch now?

That is great to hear! How is the see but not touch going with the older batch Vs the younger batch now?

I haven't started that yet. I just integrated the two younger batches yesterday. I still need to figure out how to do the see but don't touch approach. The brooder would be too small for everyone to be there for a considerable amount of time, I think...

I haven't started that yet. I just integrated the two younger batches yesterday. I still need to figure out how to do the see but don't touch approach. The brooder would be too small for everyone to be there for a considerable amount of time, I think...
May I make a suggestion?
Use baby gated play areas. You can make them as big or small as you want because they connect together :)
Cheap too haha
Then just put some plywood on top to keep them from flying out

May I make a suggestion?
Use baby gated play areas. You can make them as big or small as you want because they connect together :)
Cheap too haha
Then just put some plywood on top to keep them from flying out

Thanks for the suggestion, always welcome as I have so much to learn!

I actually have a play pen that I used when my dog was a puppy (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4D4JBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1); it can be configured in different ways, but I think the younger chicks might fit through the openings (I could put some netting in between, though). I would not be able to set this up indoors permanently, however. Would some timed "sessions" of the see but not touch approach be sufficient? like an hour twice per day or so? I'd also need to find something to put on the floor...

Thanks for the suggestion, always welcome as I have so much to learn!

I actually have a play pen that I used when my dog was a puppy (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4D4JBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1); it can be configured in different ways, but I think the younger chicks might fit through the openings (I could put some netting in between, though). I would not be able to set this up indoors permanently, however. Would some timed "sessions" of the see but not touch approach be sufficient? like an hour twice per day or so? I'd also need to find something to put on the floor...
I think that would suffice for the first week or two, and then raise it continually until you’re ready to do full on see and touch when the youngest are about 8 weeks or so.

As for the floor I would suggest using a tarp. We put some pine shavings on there and then when it came time to clean just moved the chicks to a temp home and dragged the tarp outside
Washes and dries easy too

Back
Top Bottom